Man suspected in attack on Steelers player extradited from Florida
A suspect in the stabbing and attempted carjacking of Pittsburgh Steelers player Mike Adams arrived in Pittsburgh on Friday after deputies extradited him from Florida, Pittsburgh police said.
Police charged Jerrell Whitlock, 26, with attempted homicide, aggravated assault, attempted carjacking and conspiracy in connection with the June 1 attack on Adams in the South Side.
Law enforcement officers found Whitlock, his girlfriend Precious Gethers, 25, and their 3-year-old son on June 14 in a room at the Knight's Inn in Gainesville, Fla. Officers had to use a Taser on Whitlock as he fled onto a balcony, police said.
Allegheny County Sheriff's deputies brought Whitlock and Gethers from the Alachua County Jail in Florida to Pittsburgh via a commercial airline flight, police said. Detectives questioned the pair at Pittsburgh police headquarters on the North Side before transporting them to the Allegheny County Jail.
Police charged Gethers with hindering apprehension and endangering the welfare of a child.
Adams' three attackers randomly targeted the Steelers prospective right tackle about 3 a.m. on June 1 in the 1700 block of East Carson Street, police said.
Adams, 23, identified Whitlock in a photo array as the man who slashed his right forearm and stabbed him in the left side and stomach, according to an affidavit.
Michael Paranay, 25, and Dquay Means, 26, both of Hazelwood, are charged in connection with the attempted carjacking and assault.
Police said they don't expect any more arrests in the case.
Margaret Harding is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-380-8519 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: After L.A., NFL should tread carefully
- Starter Liriano strikes out 12, leads Pirates to series sweep of Mets
- Acme man’s ephemeral sculptures appear to defy laws of physics
- Neighbor arrested after McKeesport house fire, authorities say
- Pirates notebook: Substance rule a sticky subject
- Early success in White House race a pleasant surprise for Carson
- Kennywood fanatic, 82, rides Jack Rabbit 95 times in a row
- Cochran repair center planned in Harrison
- Memorial Day service in National Cemetery of the Alleghenies still growing
- Motorcyclist killed after striking pole in Penn Township
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Marlins, May 25, 2014