Fayette County man shot to death by state troopers
State troopers shot a Fayette County man to death Friday night after he pointed a pair of handguns at them, authorities said.
Troopers responded to a 911 call for a domestic dispute at a home along Rose Boulevard in North Union at 10:40 p.m.
Shawn E. Knight, 50, met the troopers as they tried to enter the residence, police said. The officers took cover outside after Knight pointed a pair of pistols at them.
Knight followed the troopers outside with the guns and was shot after he “failed to comply with verbal commands given by officers,” according to Trooper Stefani Plume.
The two officers fired several shots at Knight, Plume said. Authorities did not disclose the names of the officers. They were not injured.
The two troopers involved in the shooting have been reassigned to administrative duties while the incident is being investigated, which is standard practice, she said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pine-Richland’s DiNucci commits to Pitt
- Senate GOP, fired open records director file lawsuit against Wolf
- Rossi: Crosby’s debt to NHL paid in full
- Penguins recall 4 players
- Pittsburgh police say two officers in video did not use excessive force
- Funeral for Joey Fabus, honorary Bethel Park police officer, draws crowd
- Arnold woman severely injured in Allegheny Township wreck
- Charges officially dropped against Leon Ford, who is recovering from surgery
- New York City hunkers down as Nor’easter threatens blizzard conditions
- Penguins’ Fleury surrenders 7 goals in 1 period of NHL All-Star Game loss
- Bloomfield bookstore owner bucks naysayers