State Senate approves Medicaid expansion
By Brad Bumsted
Published: Sunday, June 30, 2013, 8:48 p.m.
HARRISBURG — The state Senate on Sunday approved a bill aimed at establishing conditions for Medicaid expansion in Pennsylvania under Obamacare.
Republican Gov. Tom Corbett has thus far resisted joining the federal program, but he has not made a final decision. An estimated 600,000 to 800,000 uninsured Pennsylvanians would receive health coverage under the program.
A summary of the Senate bill by the Public Health and Welfare Committee says the Department of Public Welfare will pursue an expansion of Medicaid Oct. 1.
The Senate passed the bill 40-10 with no debate, but it appears to be running into a roadblock in the House. Both chambers have Republican majorities.
House Health Committee Chairman Matthew Baker, R-Tioga County, said expanding Medicaid is “fiscally irresponsible and unsustainable,” despite federal promises of multi-billion dollar funding.
Numerous House Republicans said the federal government can't be trusted to keep its promises for long-range funding and that it would leave Pennsylvania taxpayers stuck with the bill.
The Senate Medicaid language is tucked into the bill authorizing expenditures in the Department of Public Welfare. The state budget, due by midnight Sunday night, would not be complete without the welfare code.
House Republicans seem unconcerned, suggesting there's a way to handle it.
Under the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare, states must decide whether to expand Medicaid or not. About half of the states have indicated they will do so.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins insider: Malkin found confidence in Game 3
- West Mifflin business joins forces with East Allegheny students
- Switch in pairings helps Penguins defensemen find groove in Game 3
- Prescription Drug Take Back Day to be observed locally
- Husband to stand trial in Derry middle school teacher’s murder
- Local Episcopal priest sentenced in child pornography case
- Pirates notebook: MLB metes out suspensions
- SCI-Pittsburgh inmate taken to AGH after ‘severe beating’
- Pitcher Cueto shuts down Pirates as Reds cruise to victory at PNC
- Eddie Merlot’s steakhouse attracts with menu, wines, decor
- Mt. Pleasant to save with energy-efficient lighting