Woman with knife fatally shot by Oil City police
Police in Venango County on Tuesday night shot and killed a woman who they say was attacking an officer with a knife.
Troopers were called to investigate the shooting by Oil City police that occurred shortly before 9 p.m. along Central Avenue, said Capt. Steve J. Ignatz, commanding officer of state police Troop E based in Erie.
“Preliminary indications are that the officers were responding to a call of a person with reported mental issues,” Ignatz said. “We were told that the woman approached an officer with a knife and that person shot and killed her.”
No other information was immediately available.
Michael Hasch is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7820 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Tire comes off, hits oncoming car, kills 1 on Route 28
- Panthers fall to Hawaii in game they were expected to win
- Steelers’ Wheaton embraces expanding role
- 7 arrested in Latrobe-area drug dealing
- Fleury denied 300th win as Penguins lose to Islanders in shootout
- Ohio woman shot to death nearly 3 days before police find body in Neshannock home
- Pine-Richland tops defending champ Central Catholic to capture WPIAL title
- Woman to stand trial in Jeannette tot’s death
- Central Valley beats rival West Allegheny to win WPIAL Class AAA championship
- Iron ore price decline hurts U.S. Steel’s cost advantage over rivals
- Play of nose tackles could have impact on Steelers’ stretch run