Greene County residents can sign up to receive alerts when emergency situation arises at prison
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Wednesday, July 17, 2013, 12:30 p.m.
Greene County residents will receive email, phone and text message alerts when there's an emergency situation at the Greene County Prison, administrators announced Wednesday.
County residents — especially those who live within two miles of the prison — are encouraged to subscribe to the alert system by registering their name, email address, land and mobile telephone numbers at the county's website, www.co.greene.pa.us. Anyone without Internet access can call the prison at 724-627-7780 to register.
The system, which will be administered by Warden Harry D. Gillispie and other county officials, will cost the county $895 a year, but is free to the public.
Implementation of the system follows last month's escape of two inmates who walked away from the Waynesburg facility when a guard left unlocked a fence separating the main recreation yard from a minimum-security yard. Authorities later caught the inmates and an internal investigation led to several changes in the prison's policies and procedures.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Garden Q&A: Firecracker vine OK for trellis?
- Starkey: Penguins’ arrogance astounding
- Matt Calvert’s goal in double OT evens series for Blue Jackets
- Penguins’ Gibbons scores twice but leaves with apparent injury
- Pair of Braun homers spells defeat for Pirates
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in shooting at Chartiers party
- Draftees’ longevity key for NFL success
- NFL notebook: Pryor will be cut if he’s not traded
- Patients denied as donor organs discarded
- Meat prices drain barbecue budgets