Greene County residents can sign up to receive alerts when emergency situation arises at prison
Greene County residents will receive email, phone and text message alerts when there's an emergency situation at the Greene County Prison, administrators announced Wednesday.
County residents — especially those who live within two miles of the prison — are encouraged to subscribe to the alert system by registering their name, email address, land and mobile telephone numbers at the county's website, www.co.greene.pa.us. Anyone without Internet access can call the prison at 724-627-7780 to register.
The system, which will be administered by Warden Harry D. Gillispie and other county officials, will cost the county $895 a year, but is free to the public.
Implementation of the system follows last month's escape of two inmates who walked away from the Waynesburg facility when a guard left unlocked a fence separating the main recreation yard from a minimum-security yard. Authorities later caught the inmates and an internal investigation led to several changes in the prison's policies and procedures.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Shareholder vote causes ATI to review executive pay packages
- Lowly job likely awaits former Pittsburgh police chief after prison
- Cole outduels Mets rookie, carries Pirates to victory
- King gets surprise Late Model victory at Lernerville
- Islamic State claims suicide blast in Saudi mosque
- ‘Dope sick’ man in custody in Mt. Pleasant stick-up
- Gorman: Obama Academy boys volleyball leads way for City League in WPIAL
- Monessen man faces trial in shooting
- Wal-Mart presses meat, egg suppliers on antibiotics, animal treatment
- Hempfield pair caught in vehicle scam
- Fox Chapel, Ambridge capture WPIAL volleyball titles