Greene County residents can sign up to receive alerts when emergency situation arises at prison
By The Tribune-Review
Published: Wednesday, July 17, 2013, 12:30 p.m.
Greene County residents will receive email, phone and text message alerts when there's an emergency situation at the Greene County Prison, administrators announced Wednesday.
County residents — especially those who live within two miles of the prison — are encouraged to subscribe to the alert system by registering their name, email address, land and mobile telephone numbers at the county's website, www.co.greene.pa.us. Anyone without Internet access can call the prison at 724-627-7780 to register.
The system, which will be administered by Warden Harry D. Gillispie and other county officials, will cost the county $895 a year, but is free to the public.
Implementation of the system follows last month's escape of two inmates who walked away from the Waynesburg facility when a guard left unlocked a fence separating the main recreation yard from a minimum-security yard. Authorities later caught the inmates and an internal investigation led to several changes in the prison's policies and procedures.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Maatta not a top rookie finalist
- Indictment alleges scheme defrauded government of $10 million
- Penguins insider: Malkin found confidence in Game 3
- Switch in pairings helps Penguins defensemen find groove in Game 3
- State College restaurant plans new statue of Joe Paterno
- ‘Save Chatham’ protesters ordered to leave Shadyside campus
- Highmark’s insurance profit falls 40%
- Kovacevic: No science to solving power play
- Duquesne teachers accept fact-finder recommendations for contract
- Husband to stand trial in Derry middle school teacher’s murder
- Eddie Merlot’s steakhouse attracts with menu, wines, decor