Greene County residents can sign up to receive alerts when emergency situation arises at prison
Greene County residents will receive email, phone and text message alerts when there's an emergency situation at the Greene County Prison, administrators announced Wednesday.
County residents — especially those who live within two miles of the prison — are encouraged to subscribe to the alert system by registering their name, email address, land and mobile telephone numbers at the county's website, www.co.greene.pa.us. Anyone without Internet access can call the prison at 724-627-7780 to register.
The system, which will be administered by Warden Harry D. Gillispie and other county officials, will cost the county $895 a year, but is free to the public.
Implementation of the system follows last month's escape of two inmates who walked away from the Waynesburg facility when a guard left unlocked a fence separating the main recreation yard from a minimum-security yard. Authorities later caught the inmates and an internal investigation led to several changes in the prison's policies and procedures.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Gameday: Pirates at Cubs, April 27, 2015
- Rossi: Penguins’ best bet is on Martin
- NASA head tells Pitt grads their generation will ‘walk the face of Mars’
- Young defensemen make case for future with Penguins
- Spirit Airlines lifts fortunes of Arnold Palmer Regional Airport
- Man fatally stabbed in Braddock Hills
- Fire at North Union industrial building ruled accidental
- From injuries to front office, Penguins’ season didn’t lack drama
- Plum school officials ignoring help, advocacy group’s chief says
- Penguins president: General manager, coach won’t be fired
- Burnett’s stellar start paves way for Pirates’ victory over Diamondbacks