Greene County residents can sign up to receive alerts when emergency situation arises at prison
Greene County residents will receive email, phone and text message alerts when there's an emergency situation at the Greene County Prison, administrators announced Wednesday.
County residents — especially those who live within two miles of the prison — are encouraged to subscribe to the alert system by registering their name, email address, land and mobile telephone numbers at the county's website, www.co.greene.pa.us. Anyone without Internet access can call the prison at 724-627-7780 to register.
The system, which will be administered by Warden Harry D. Gillispie and other county officials, will cost the county $895 a year, but is free to the public.
Implementation of the system follows last month's escape of two inmates who walked away from the Waynesburg facility when a guard left unlocked a fence separating the main recreation yard from a minimum-security yard. Authorities later caught the inmates and an internal investigation led to several changes in the prison's policies and procedures.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Lure of tuition aid, gifts draw college students to ‘sugar daddy’ sites
- Crosby, Malkin dazzle fellow All-Stars
- Starkey: Rinaldo doesn’t belong in NHL
- Woman killed in Washington Township crash
- Long-term solution for wastewater disposal eludes shale gas industry
- Tough times are in past for Pitt senior guard Kiesel
- Former athletes open businesses
- Suburban Catholic schools grow in Western Pennsylvania
- ‘Line is definitely blurry,’ state police say of dating websites and prostitution
- Increasing pressure on QBs will be offseason focus for Steelers
- Doctor urges W.Pa. parents to notice measles signs, stresses importance of vaccines