McCandless family doctor arrested, charged with possessing and distributing child porn
The Allegheny County District Attorney's Office arrested a McCandless family doctor at his home on Friday for possessing and distributing child pornography.
Dr. Mark Janosko, 47, a physician with West Penn Associates, was being held in the Allegheny County Jail pending his arraignment on two felony counts. No one answered the phone at Janosko's home Friday evening.
Investigators used computer software to trace multiple images of child pornography to Janosko's home, according to a criminal complaint.
Investigators and agents from the Western Pennsylvania Violent Crimes Against Children Task Force searched Janosko's home. They found thousands of sexually explicit images and videos of boys ages 5-14 on his computer.
Janosko told investigators that he viewed and downloaded child pornography “on and off for years,” explaining that he “felt that he can stop at anytime, and it is not uncontrollable.”
He told detectives that viewing child pornography has not interfered with his daily life, although he knew it was illegal.
Authorities notified the Allegheny Health Network of the charges. The network placed Janosko on a leave of absence pending the investigation, spokeswoman Jennifer Davis said.
“Allegheny Health Network will fully cooperate with law enforcement as they investigate this matter,” she said.
Mike Manko, a spokesman for the DA's office, said there is no evidence Janosko had any inappropriate contact with his younger patients. He asked concerned parents to call his office at 412-388-5300.
Janosko's preliminary hearing is scheduled for July 31 before McCandless District Judge William Wagner.
Adam Brandolph is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-391-0927 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins trade for Toronto’s Kessel; lose Martin, Comeau via free agency
- Second Pa. friar commits suicide from order under investigation in sex abuse scandal
- Steelers submit application to host Super Bowl
- Judge revokes bail for Plum High School teacher
- Pair of Three Rivers Regatta races canceled
- Donora-Webster Bridge plunges into Mon River after 106 years
- 2015 Connellsville grad identified as victim of Bullskin motorcycle crash
- In historic vote, Legislature approves bill selling state liquor stores
- Pirates grind out extra-inning win against testy Tigers
- Union to work while ATI talks continue
- Wednesday - July 1, 2015