Pittsburgh police searching for man who triggered SWAT situation in West Oakland
Pittsburgh police continued Tuesday night to search for a man who a witness said threatened people in the city's West Oakland neighborhood with a small machine gun earlier in the day.
A warrant was issued for Neil Joseph Harris, 27, charging him with simple assault, making terroristic threats, possessing instruments of a crime and disorderly conduct, police Lt. Kevin Kraus said.
The incident began about 8:30 a.m. and “tied up” police, fire and paramedic units for about four hours, Assistant Chief Maurita Bryant said.
It began when a woman went to an apartment on De Ruad Street looking for a person who assaulted her niece the night before, Bryant said. That person wasn't there but, according to the criminal complaint, Harris came out of the building complaining that the woman had awakened him and his children.
The woman said she apologized three times but that the man responded by pulling a small machine gun, Bryant said.
According to the complaint, Harris told the woman: “I have the artillery and I will shoot you and anyone you call that comes down here.” Harris then went onto the roof, she said.
“Officers never actually saw the suspect with a weapon,” Bryant said.
Heavily armed city police officers and SWAT teams swarmed the neighborhood, shut down nearby streets and told residents and those in the John Heinz Family Center day care to stay inside.
“My cousin went to the door, and they told him to get back inside,” said neighbor Stephanie Beechaum, 64. “I counted 23 people in camo go in with a battering ram.”
A state police helicopter helped about 30 SWAT officers and police monitor the roof. SWAT officers did not find Harris in a search of the building, Bryant said.
“The suspect had ample opportunity to leave the apartment by multiple exits,” Bryant said.
Beechaum described the street as relatively quiet.
“Most of the trouble is from people who don't live here,” Beechaum said. “They bring the drama and disappear.”
Margaret Harding and David Conti are staff writers for Trib Total Media. Harding can be reached at 412-380-8519 or email@example.com. Conti can be reached at 412-388-5802 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Staff writer Michael Hasch contributed to this report.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: It’s past time for NFL to protect players
- Steelers stalled by Seahawks, on outside of AFC wild-card picture
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger reported symptoms that led to his exit vs. Seahawks
- Steelers players say they support Tomlin’s attempts at deception
- Obama: Climate pact an ‘act of defiance’ after Paris attacks
- Pennsylvania Game Commission reaps revenue from shale gas under game lands
- Family of man accused of shooting St. Clair officer say allegations don’t fit his character
- Week 12 — Steelers-Seahawks gameday grades
- Steelers notebook: Seahawks’ Sherman gets better of WR Brown
- Sports Deli is latest tenant to say goodbye to Parkway Center Mall
- Muslim civil rights group seeks investigation into shooting of Pittsburgh taxi driver