Shots fired at Mellon Park, police also investigate Homewood shooting
By Luis Fábregas
Published: Saturday, Aug. 17, 2013, 8:30 p.m.
Gunfire caused crowds to scatter Saturday night in Mellon Park.
Several hundred people were in the Shadyside park, one witness said, and began to run when shots were heard.
Police walked through the park to determine if anyone was wounded. They used flashlights to search the ground for evidence.
Dispatchers said medics were called to the scene.
The park is along Fifth Avenue between Penn and Shady avenues.
At least one person suffered wounds in a separate shooting on Monticello Street in Homewood earlier Saturday evening, police said.
That person was taken to a hospital for treatment. The extent of injuries was not immediately available.
Luis Fábregas is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7998.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- For Steelers defense, it’s all a matter of trust
- Pitt slows down Loyola Marymount, 85-68
- Steelers notebook: Woodley expects to start Sunday vs. Dolphins
- Jokinen takes center stage as fill-in for Pens’ Malkin
- Latrobe couple accused of using car trunk to end son’s fear of the dark
- Fans of former conservative radio hosts Quinn, Tennent support toy drive
- Greensburg Diocese’s school chief out
- Long-overdue memorial to region’s World War II vets opens
- Baldwin-Whitehall board hits ‘magical line of dissatisfaction’
- Penguins notebook: Malkin to miss 2nd straight game Saturday
- High school basketball roundup: Top-ranked Elizabeth Forward wins opener