TribLIVE

| News

 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Boy playing with matches starts fire in Greensburg home

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

Daily Photo Galleries

Monday, Aug. 19, 2013, 4:51 p.m.
 

An accidental fire started by a 6-year-old playing with matches Monday afternoon caused about $15,000 in damage and displaced a family, Greensburg officials said.

No one was hurt in the fire.

The boy “threw matches ... and caught a pile of clothes on fire,” in the two-story frame home at 817 West Newton St., said Greensburg detective and fire investigator Jerry Vernail.

The fire caused “pretty significant damage to the basement,” along with smoke and water damage, he said.

Firefighters put out the fire in the basement of the house, fire Chief Ed Hutchinson said. The road, also called Route 136, was closed while emergency crews put out the flames.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Stories

  1. Steelers laud decision, praise Brady for taking on Goodell
  2. With most starters resting, Steelers turn in lackluster loss at Heinz
  3. Roundup: Kraft Singles recall grows nearly tenfold; judge OKs $415M settlement in Apple, Google wage case; more
  4. Liriano struggles as Brewers complete sweep of Pirates
  5. Experts warn Kane’s Haiti trip might jeopardize any case from 2014 wiretap
  6. Freeport Area to explore options for storing maintenance equipment
  7. The Clarks go back to their roots with new album ‘Rewind’
  8. Steelers notebook: Thomas, Moats only starting defensive players to see action vs. Panthers
  9. Indian SUV maker Mahindra to debut electric scooter in U.S.
  10. Young guns lead way into pivotal Pirates-Cardinals series
  11. Vick supporters, opponents demonstrate before Steelers’ game, but coexist