Shoppers return to the Mall at Robinson following bomb threat
Authorities are fingerprinting a note recovered on Saturday in the Robinson Town Mall, searching for clues into a bomb threat that shuttered the bustling retail center for more than hour.
Robinson police Sgt. Frank Marko said that a customer discovered the hand-written note in the men's restroom near the mall's food court about 11 a.m. Saturday, about 1½ hours after the center opened. Officers are combing through mall video footage to see who might have left it.
Police, firefighters and paramedics had to block store entrances, giving Allegheny County Police officers and their bomb-sniffing dogs a chance to work their way through the mall.
“Everything went smoothly. The mall really has their procedures in place for this kind of thing,” said Marko. “It's a little inconvenient for shoppers, but they understand why we had to take the precautions we took.”
Shoppers were allowed to return at 12:38 p.m.
Shema Krinsky, marketing director for the Mall at Robinson, said that mall officials were working with local authorities to aid in the investigation.
“The safety of our guests, employees and tenaants is our top priority, and we evacuated the mall immediately to allow authorities to complete their investigation,” she said in a statement. “The authorities have determined the property to be safe and clear of any threats.”
Carl Prine is a Trib Total Media staff writer. He can be reached at 412-320-7826 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Interest high for Heinz Field soccer match
- Pirates notebook: Recovering Cole exceeds expectations in simulated game
- Polamalu enters training camp as Steelers’ longest tenured player
- 3 identified in Route 66 crash near Delmont
- Starkey: Pirates, Burnett could work again
- Late afternoon fire destroys Manor home
- Obamacare enrollees strain Medicaid in Oregon
- Walker: Latrobe gets ready to welcome Steelers back to camp
- Fayette woman dies in fall from ATV on National Pike
- Ariz. inmate’s execution apparently botched
- Care for our children first