Braddock records 1st homicide in 5 years
A man shot to death in Braddock early Monday became the borough's first homicide victim in more than five years, Mayor John Fetterman said.
The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office identified the man as Derrail Roilton, 24, of Braddock. Someone shot Roilton multiple times on Second Street just after 3 a.m., Fetterman said.
Roilton died at the scene. His relatives could not be reached.
“We had a (police) car posted about a block and a half away, so we were able to respond quickly,” Fetterman said. “Unfortunately, the man was fatally wounded.”
Fetterman said it was the first fatal shooting in the borough since May 2008.
“We just got through the quietest summer in history, and then this happens out of the blue,” he said.
Police made no arrest, but investigators plan to review a surveillance camera to see whether it captured images of a suspect or suspects, he said.
“It's a terrible day for the family,” Fetterman said.
Allegheny County police did not return a message seeking comment.
Margaret Harding is a Trib Total Media staff writer. Reach her at 412-380-8519 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Shadyside’s A Fair in the Park arts-and-crafts fest marks ‘benchmark year’
- Rossi: Cole perfect pitcher to start pivotal series for Pirates
- Scientists dismiss dire outlook for Western Pennsylvania winter weather
- Pawlak returns to lead defending WPIAL volleyball champion Freeport
- Deer Lakes golf team winning with a workmanlike approach
- Upper Tyrone supervisor hopes to mitigate trash dumping problem
- Former Clairton, Pitt cornerback Coles enrolls at Duquesne
- New Ohiopyle park manager ready for big challenge that comes with job