Braddock records 1st homicide in 5 years
A man shot to death in Braddock early Monday became the borough's first homicide victim in more than five years, Mayor John Fetterman said.
The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office identified the man as Derrail Roilton, 24, of Braddock. Someone shot Roilton multiple times on Second Street just after 3 a.m., Fetterman said.
Roilton died at the scene. His relatives could not be reached.
“We had a (police) car posted about a block and a half away, so we were able to respond quickly,” Fetterman said. “Unfortunately, the man was fatally wounded.”
Fetterman said it was the first fatal shooting in the borough since May 2008.
“We just got through the quietest summer in history, and then this happens out of the blue,” he said.
Police made no arrest, but investigators plan to review a surveillance camera to see whether it captured images of a suspect or suspects, he said.
“It's a terrible day for the family,” Fetterman said.
Allegheny County police did not return a message seeking comment.
Margaret Harding is a Trib Total Media staff writer. Reach her at 412-380-8519 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Johnston must reach Malkin in Moscow
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Liriano, Snider lift Pirates to a victory over Dodgers at PNC Park
- New Penguins coach to meet with Malkin
- Pirates notebook: Recovering Cole exceeds expectations in simulated game
- Ex-Milwaukee archbishop told he can’t spend final days at St. Vincent Archabbey
- Hookah bar on tap for Greensburg
- 3 identified in Route 66 crash near Delmont
- Greensburg pawn shop aids in arrest of home repair scam suspect
- Truck drivers taken to hospital after Pa. Turnpike crash in Butler County
- Blum’s work shines a light on lives of those from Appalachia