County completes investigation into inmate who jumped from top of jail pod
Allegheny County Jail officials closed an investigation into an inmate's jump from the top tier of a jail pod, but they refused to make public their conclusions.
“I'm told that the cause of the fall has already been determined and that steps are being implemented to prevent future incidents of this nature,” county spokeswoman Amie Downs said Thursday. She did not explain.
Milan Karan, 38, was injured when he jumped on Monday, but officials declined to disclose the extent of his injuries, citing medical privacy laws.
Rebecca Warren, a spokeswoman for Corizon, the Tennessee-based firm that recently took over medical treatment of inmates, said Karan was treated “and kept under observation.”
The jail is equipped to provide “comprehensive” medical care 24 hours a day, she said, but “when medically necessary, patients are sent for outside medical care.”
Karan was in jail on charges of defiant trespass, disorderly conduct and public drunkenness, court records show.
In 1996, he was sentenced to five to 23 months in jail for pleading guilty to theft, receiving stolen property, criminal mischief, public drunkenness and disorderly conduct.
Aaron Aupperlee is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7986 or email@example.com. Staff writer Adam Brandolph contributed to this report.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Penguins’ best bet is on Martin
- Elites, media & character
- Young defensemen make case for future with Penguins
- Rossi: Crosby, Malkin didn’t sign on for this
- From injuries to front office, Penguins’ season didn’t lack drama
- Biertempfel: Observations from a day at the ballpark
- Sawchik: Young Cubs could threaten for foreseeable future
- Crews battling 5-alarm fire at North Union industrial building
- Burnett’s stellar start paves way for Pirates’ victory over Diamondbacks
- Pitt AD Barnes has enjoyed varied career in college sports
- Spirit Airlines lifts fortunes of Arnold Palmer Regional Airport