Contractor hits gas line in Plum, prompting YMCA evacuation and road closure
The Golden Mile Highway and a YMCA building in Plum reopened after a contractor struck an underground, high-pressure gas main Thursday afternoon, Allegheny County 911 supervisors said.
The call came in shortly after 1:30 p.m. in the 2200 block of Golden Mile Highway (Route 286), dispatchers said.
The YMCA East Suburban Program Center was temporarily evacuated and the road was closed between Kane Road and Pine Valley Drive for several hours.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Jerome Bettis to be enshrined in hall of fame
- Snow, freezing rain, bitter cold coming to Western Pa.
- Familiar Downtown Pittsburgh presence lost arm, leg to train
- Suggestions are aplenty on what Penguins need to break through
- Tennessee quarterback Peterman considers transfer to Pitt
- Military academy members hone hacking skills at Pittsburgh competition
- Starkey: Pitt needs this version of James Robinson
- As banking goes mobile, branch closures rip through local economy
- Gulls fleeing frozen Great Lakes fill skies over Pittsburgh’s Point
- Voters opt for ‘Don’t Know’ in 2016 presidential race, poll finds
- Pittsburgh-set ‘Me and Earl and the Dying Girl’ sweeps Sundance