Contractor hits gas line in Plum, prompting YMCA evacuation and road closure
The Golden Mile Highway and a YMCA building in Plum reopened after a contractor struck an underground, high-pressure gas main Thursday afternoon, Allegheny County 911 supervisors said.
The call came in shortly after 1:30 p.m. in the 2200 block of Golden Mile Highway (Route 286), dispatchers said.
The YMCA East Suburban Program Center was temporarily evacuated and the road was closed between Kane Road and Pine Valley Drive for several hours.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Pirates inquire about Red Sox LHP Lester
- Big Ten Conference foes are setting sights on powerful Ohio State
- Power brace for new-look Predators in playoff opener
- Steelers offensive linemen looking to build on strong 2013 finish
- Starkey: Would one big move kill Pirates’ future?
- Appeals court upholds nation of origin labels for meat
- Derry pre-K students primed for success
- Norwin students help Riverhounds academy team win national title
- Xxxday’s scouting report: Pirates at Giants
- Former walk-ons may lose scholarships under Penn State’s Franklin
- Disney Junior brings princess, Never Land to Oakland’s Pete