Contractor hits gas line in Plum, prompting YMCA evacuation and road closure
The Golden Mile Highway and a YMCA building in Plum reopened after a contractor struck an underground, high-pressure gas main Thursday afternoon, Allegheny County 911 supervisors said.
The call came in shortly after 1:30 p.m. in the 2200 block of Golden Mile Highway (Route 286), dispatchers said.
The YMCA East Suburban Program Center was temporarily evacuated and the road was closed between Kane Road and Pine Valley Drive for several hours.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Unusual fruiting vines offer tasty options for Western Pennsylvania gardens
- Farrell routs Jeannette, 76-55 in PIAA Class A 1st-round game
- South Park junior wants to win gold to honor friend’s memory
- PIAA boys basketball roundup: New Castle edges Strong Vincent
- Beaver Falls bounces back, beats Meadville in PIAA Class AAA 1st-round game
- Roundup: New Castle edges Strong Vincent
- Spring training breakdown: Pirates 3, Yankees 1
- 2 found dead in Harrison home
- Pirates notebook: Pitching prospect Taillon makes steady progress
- Mother, baby found dead in Millvale apartment
- Polamalu could be next in long line of Steelers greats given unceremonial exit