Butler County man, state police have 8 days to respond to Trib's motion in lawsuit
Lawyers for a Butler County man and the state police have eight days to respond to the Tribune-Review's motion to intervene in a lawsuit that both sides want to keep from public view.
U.S. Magistrate Maureen Kelly on Thursday deferred ruling on the Trib's motion, filed on Wednesday. The Trib wants into the case for the sole purpose of fighting the motion to seal it.
Jeffrey L. Burtner, 54, of Butler is suing the state police because the agency has refused to remove an error in its records that blocked his purchase of a hunting rifle on May 24, 2012.
Because the case deals with medical records, including mental health records, and other personal information, lawyers for Burtner and the state police say Kelly should seal the entire case, including any settlement.
The Trib contends the public has a strong interest in observing a case that “deals with alleged governmental abuse of power” that resulted in bad information being used to block someone from buying a firearm. It has the right to know the details of any settlement the state makes in the case, the newspaper says. Kelly can seal records dealing with Burtner's personal information without sealing the entire case, the Trib said in its motion.
Brian Bowling is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-325-4301 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Motorcyclist injured in Westmoreland flown to Pittsburgh
- Dude’s The Man captures Adios at The Meadows
- Rossi: Nothing huge, but Huntington helped Bucs
- 2 killed in single-vehicle crash in Pittsburgh
- 2014 showing has Steelers RB Harris confident he belongs
- Monongahela uses modern technology to connect people to the city’s historic past
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Steelers OLB coach Porter teaches as passionately as he played
- Dek hockey summer camp ranks swell thanks to social media
- Steelers training camp has California University link