Lawmaker seeks supporters for effort to impeach Attorney General Kane
State Rep. Daryl Metcalfe, R-Cranberry, is seeking co-sponsors for legislation to impeach Attorney General Kathleen Kane, a Democrat, for refusing to defend the state's ban on gay marriage.
He said she has a duty to defend the constitutionality of state statutes.
“It is our duty to stop her from further misbehavior in office,” Metcalfe told colleagues in a memo.
Kane responded with a blistering statement Tuesday accusing Metcalfe of bullying and “political gamesmanship.”
“The citizens of this great commonwealth should be revolted that a politician such as Rep. Metcalfe is attempting to thwart an independent attorney general from doing her job by using such a measure,” Kane said. “I have never been afraid of or backed down from bullies. In fact, bullies strengthen my resolve to protect those who need it the most — the people of Pennsylvania.”
Metcalfe said Kane's full statement sounded like a campaign speech. He denied playing politics, saying Kane can't act like a “sitting judge while serving as attorney general.” She can't “pick and choose her cases,” he said.
Kane in August said she could not defend the constitutionality of the state's marriage act, which defines marriage as between “one man and one woman.” She referred the case to Republican Gov. Tom Corbett's general counsel as she said she is allowed to do.
House Speaker Sam Smith, a Punxsutawney Republican, said Metcalfe's proposal would be given “serious consideration,” his spokesman Stephen Miskin said.
Brad Bumsted is state Capitol reporter for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 717-787-1405 and email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rooney says Pittsburgh is ‘good place’ for next northern Super Bowl
- UPMC researcher who died of cyanide poisoning committed suicide
- Penguins finally break through, defeat Devils at Prudential Center
- HOF finalist Bettis ‘behind everything’ in 2005 Super Bowl run
- Sting highlights demand for Pappy Van Winkle bourbon
- Penguins notebook: Bennett a healthy scratch
- Serena Williams wins 6th Australian Open for 19th major title
- Dungy, Greene represent more Steelers ties in hall of fame voting
- Goodell defends league, dodges difficult questions
- Wilkinsburg auto dealer scammed at least 30 people, police say
- Homework: Pittsburgh Home Show to feature celebs, wine and pets