Allegheny County ice skating rinks open Friday
In a sign that winter is coming, ice skating rinks at North Park and South Park open at 4:30 p.m. Friday.
The Allegheny County Parks Department had planned to open the rinks Thursday but could not because of unseasonably warm temperatures earlier in the week. Park employees look for temperatures consistently below 40 degrees, said Amie Downs, a county spokeswoman.
High temperatures will not reach much higher than 50 degrees over the weekend. Lows will remain in the 30s, according to the National Weather Service.
The rinks are open from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
For more information on hours and fees, visit www.alleghenycounty.us/parks/fees/skate.aspx.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- Penguins forward Downie becoming a hit with teammates
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Western Pennsylvania residents chill about forecasters’ spat
- Shale oil, gas finds put Mon Valley on path to renaissance, leaders say
- Large-scale batteries are integral in shift to renewable energy
- Hundreds mourn victims of McKeesport house fire at candlelight vigil
- North Huntingdon church shaken by youth pastor’s child porn rap
- Pitt’s defense has not rested in post-Donald era
- Legal titans prepared to tussle in Ferrante cyanide homicide trial
- Water process eyed for 2 parks in Allegheny County