County Council won't ban drilling in parks
Allegheny County Council members overwhelming rejected a three-year ban on drilling for natural gas under county parks.
Council voted 9-2 against the moratorium. Barbara Daly Danko, D-Regent Square, and Bill Robinson, D-Hill District, voted for the ban. Danko proposed it in September.
The county is weighing an offer to drill for natural gas under Deer Lakes Park in West Deer and Frazier. The gas would be accessed by well pads outside the park.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Steelers notebook: Defense has a retro feel
- In Steelers-Saints game, all eyes on Brown-Lewis matchup
- Thousands attend Vandergrift Light-Up Night, Christmas parade
- Salvation Army in W.Pa. uses social media campaign
- Obama’s immigration actions neglect business pleas
- Trib real estate writer Spatter ‘worked right to the end’
- Cash-strapped Pittsburgh Public Schools to sponsor holiday parade
- Auto technology gives mobile computing a new meaning
- Gorman: Are mergers the future of Western Pa. football?
- Sloppy Penguins fall to Hurricanes
- Hempfield Area High School senior Richason creates Before I Die wall in Greensburg