Fox Chapel hires new superintendent
Daily Photo Galleries
Gene Freeman's priority when he takes the reins at Fox Chapel Area School District is for every student to know his name and face.
The school board hired Freeman on Tuesday night. He will start the job in March. In the meantime, Linda Hippert, executive director of the Allegheny Intermediate Unit, will serve as acting superintendent.
Information on Freeman's contract was not yet available.
Freeman has been superintendent at Manheim Township in Lancaster, since 2008, and before that served as superintendent in the Weatherly Area School District in Carbon County, said Bonnie Berzonski, district coordinator of communications.
Freeman said he takes pride in having a personal relationship with students.
“It's one of the things I'm most proud of during my career,” Freeman said. “I plan to carry it forward. I look forward to working with staff and parents, but I'm an advocate for the students. I want to be able to walk into any classroom and have them know who I am.”
Freeman began his career as a kindergarten teacher in a private school in North Carolina.
The district started a nationwide search for a new superintendent in September, shortly after current Superintendent Anne Stephens announced her retirement, scheduled for Jan. 1.
Stephens has been with the district seven years. Her salary is $190,000 per year.
Tawnya Panizzi is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-782-2121, ext. 2 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ‘Time for bold change,’ Wolf says in outlining $30B budget restructuring taxes
- Starkey: Penguins not mortgaging future
- Dormont manager resigns to sidestep firing
- Cal U fraternity president cited after police arrest 7 in weekend brawl
- No tag for Worilds; Steelers cut Moore
- Indiana Township man held without bail on drug paraphernalia charges
- Pittsburgh’s Downtown tops ranking of small to midsized cities
- Penguins acquire defensemen Lovejoy, Cole in deadline deals
- Penguins GM Rutherford not counting on Dupuis’ return
- Surgeon to examine Pirates’ Cumpton after experiencing elbow discomfort
- Spirit Airlines to add daily flights from Latrobe to Chicago O’Hare