Police identify man found in Lake Arthur
The Butler County Coroner's Office Wednesday identified a man whose body was found in Lake Arthur in Moraine State Park.
Nick Sopel, 62, of Lyndora had been missing since Nov. 14, when his car was found near the Route 422 bridge that spans Lake Arthur.
Park rangers, state police, the Butler County water rescue team, volunteer firefighters and emergency workers searched the area nearby without success for several days.
Sopel was found Tuesday with the use of an underwater camera donated to the park by his family to aid in the search for him. Crews spotted his fully clothed body in about 8 feet of water. The cause and manner of Sopel's death are pending.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins acquire defensemen Lovejoy, Cole in deadline deals
- Power play shines in Penguins’ home victory over Blue Jackets
- Pirates starting pitcher Worley is in right place, right time with team
- Icy roads bring numerous accidents in Western Pa.
- Penguins forwards struggle in loss to Avalanche
- No tag for Worilds; Steelers cut Moore
- Teacher conduct under spotlight in Pennsylvania
- Pirates sickened by pic of ‘Jihadi John’ wearing Bucs ball cap
- Passion for speed fuels Ligonier man’s slippery dash in winter rally
- Greensburg pair jailed in convenience store robbery
- Starkey: In defense of Mel Kiper Jr.