Police identify man found in Lake Arthur
The Butler County Coroner's Office Wednesday identified a man whose body was found in Lake Arthur in Moraine State Park.
Nick Sopel, 62, of Lyndora had been missing since Nov. 14, when his car was found near the Route 422 bridge that spans Lake Arthur.
Park rangers, state police, the Butler County water rescue team, volunteer firefighters and emergency workers searched the area nearby without success for several days.
Sopel was found Tuesday with the use of an underwater camera donated to the park by his family to aid in the search for him. Crews spotted his fully clothed body in about 8 feet of water. The cause and manner of Sopel's death are pending.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Crosby banned from Jets game because he missed All-Star Game
- Former Steelers LB Haggans to do time in Westmoreland jail
- LeBeau won’t join Cardinals coaching staff
- Pine-Richland’s DiNucci to Pitt; Kittanning’s Bowers opts for PSU
- Pittsburgh cracks down on overcrowded houses
- Teen found in Riverview Park last year died of overdose
- Snow causes collisions, delays in Mon-Yough area
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended 8 games for hit on Letang
- Some normalcy returns to Homestead business district devastated by fire
- Liberty public servant Owens remembered as problem solver
- Ligonier planners recommend approval of restaurant proposal