Greensburg man dies after multi-vehicle crash on Route 22
Man dies after car hits salt truck on Route 22
A 21-year-old Greensburg man died from multiple injuries he sustained in a multi-vehicle crash along Route 22 in Murrysville Sunday, according to the Allegheny County medical examiner's office.
Brett Caughlan was pronounced dead at Forbes Regional Medical Center about one hour after the 6:48 p.m. crash, according to the medical examiner's office.
The initial crash involved a car and a PennDOT salt truck, just west of the Manor Road intersection, and caused the highway to close for several hours, according to Murrysville Police.
Police said the crash involved four vehicles.
According to police, the car Caughlan was driving was traveling east when it struck the salt truck, then crossed into the westbound lanes and struck two westbound vehicles.
Police Chief Thomas Seefeld said the crash remains under investigation.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Undersized Beachum quietly excels at 1 of game’s pivotal positions
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu, Taylor unlikely to play, Harrison ‘ready’
- Michigan State defensive coordinator a Pitt coaching candidate
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Pitt: Football coach hire comes 1st, athletic director 2nd
- Penguins’ defensive depth proves valuable
- Hotel building boom sweeps Pittsburgh region
- Police gather in Ligonier for Perryopolis officer’s funeral
- Man involved with crash with officer dies in Pittsburgh hospital
- Penguins notebook: Kunitz ‘really close’ to return
- Giant Eagle Inc. appears to have settled ‘fuelperks!’ lawsuit