Security guard watching ATVs on film set is charged with stealing 1
A security guard for a television series filming in Riverview Park drove away with one of the all-terrain vehicles he was supposed to be watching, Pittsburgh police said.
Police charged Christopher Old, 20, of the North Side with theft by unlawful taking and receiving stolen property on Thursday. He did not return a message seeking comment.
Crew members for Pacific 2.1 Entertainment Corp. noticed one of five rented ATVs was missing on Nov. 14 and mentioned that Old left the set a half hour early on the day before, police said.
This week, the crew finished filming the first season of the A&E network's “Those Who Kill,” starring Chloe Sevigny and James D'Arcy as a detective and forensic psychiatrist who track down serial killers. Representatives with Pacific 2.1 did not return messages.
Auto squad Detective Paul Roetter, who investigated the case, knew Old, a guard for Peak Security. The two met while Roetter was working an off-duty detail, according to a criminal complaint.
Old told Roetter that his house on Complete Street was being remodeled, and on Thursday, Roetter saw a blue tarp covering what appeared to be an ATV near a house undergoing renovations on that street.
Detectives obtained a search warrant and told Old they wanted to check out the ATV in the back of his yard, the complaint said.
Old responded, “You know it's stolen,” according to the complaint.
In an interview with detectives, Old admitted to driving one of the ATVs home so he could try to sell it, the complaint said.
Officers took Old to the Allegheny County Jail, where he was arraigned and released on his own recognizance. He has a preliminary hearing scheduled for Thursday.
Peak Security spokesman Ray Cervenak said Old was fired.
Margaret Harding is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-380-8519 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Consol Energy cutting retiree health benefits, phasing out pension
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback
- Pirates’ Martin calls crowd chant ‘pretty special’
- Highmark to increase premiums, limit access to health care in new plans
- Woman dies in fall at McConnells Mill State Park
- Dense fog slows Western Pa. morning rush hour; advisory extended
- Police: Westmoreland woman forged painkiller prescriptions
- Penguins release Carcillo from tryout contract