Upper St. Clair High School senior wins $160,000 scholarship
St. Vincent College awarded Upper St. Clair High School senior Connor McCormick a scholarship for $160,000 Thursday, covering four years of tuition, room and board at the Catholic college in Latrobe.
McCormick, 18, qualified for the Archabbot Boniface Wimmer scholarship by having the highest score out of 250 applicants taking a multi-subject exam last November.
He and the rest of the high school jazz band were told they were playing at an award ceremony for the school's principal, but learned it really was for McCormick when St. Vincent officials and his parents surprised him, presenting him with a giant novelty check.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt: Football coach hire comes 1st, athletic director 2nd
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu, Taylor unlikely to play, Harrison ‘ready’
- Undersized Beachum quietly excels at 1 of game’s pivotal positions
- Man involved with crash with officer dies in Pittsburgh hospital
- Penguins’ defensive depth proves valuable
- Michigan State defensive coordinator a Pitt coaching candidate
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Police gather in Ligonier for Perryopolis officer’s funeral
- Despite intimidation, women still passionate about video games
- Port Authority fires two bus drivers involved in rollover crash
- N.Y. Fashion Week out of Lincoln Center