Upper St. Clair High School senior wins $160,000 scholarship
St. Vincent College awarded Upper St. Clair High School senior Connor McCormick a scholarship for $160,000 Thursday, covering four years of tuition, room and board at the Catholic college in Latrobe.
McCormick, 18, qualified for the Archabbot Boniface Wimmer scholarship by having the highest score out of 250 applicants taking a multi-subject exam last November.
He and the rest of the high school jazz band were told they were playing at an award ceremony for the school's principal, but learned it really was for McCormick when St. Vincent officials and his parents surprised him, presenting him with a giant novelty check.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Penguins GM Rutherford ‘wouldn’t make’ Despres trade today
- Starkey: Kang story of the year for Pirates
- Healthy defensive back Mitchell eager for 2nd season with Steelers
- Man’s body found hours after disappearance on Youghiogheny River
- Chevron settles fatal well fire lawsuit for $5 million
- Steelers notebook: Blake gets outside shot in nickel
- Task force to plot ways of easing gas glut in Pennsylvania via pipelines
- 15 Chinese nationals indicted in Pittsburgh for fraudulently taking college board exams
- International counterfeiter sentenced in Pittsburgh to 7 1/2 years in prison
- Crews rescue worker trapped in Lawrenceville trench collapse
- IRS cybersecurity breach touches lives of homebuyers, others