Upper St. Clair High School senior wins $160,000 scholarship
St. Vincent College awarded Upper St. Clair High School senior Connor McCormick a scholarship for $160,000 Thursday, covering four years of tuition, room and board at the Catholic college in Latrobe.
McCormick, 18, qualified for the Archabbot Boniface Wimmer scholarship by having the highest score out of 250 applicants taking a multi-subject exam last November.
He and the rest of the high school jazz band were told they were playing at an award ceremony for the school's principal, but learned it really was for McCormick when St. Vincent officials and his parents surprised him, presenting him with a giant novelty check.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- North Huntingdon woman charged with threatening to burn down officer’s house
- Pirates’ Melancon has been consistent since moving into closer’s role
- Baby girl dies when run over by pickup truck in Indiana County
- Heyl: Gravy train comes to an abrupt halt for Allegheny judges’ relatives
- Amazon.com distribution center planned for Pittsburgh’s West End
- Israel hits 30 Gaza homes, kills senior militant
- Aliquippa father is charged by Beaver County DA in girls’ dresser death
- Well-traveled Clemons trying to find home with Carolina Panthers
- 2014 has been among deadliest for the world’s airline industry