Allegheny County Human Services director wins lifetime achievement award
Marc Cherna, Allegheny County's Department of Human Services director, received the Casey Lifetime Achievement Award for Excellence from Casey Family Programs.
The award recognizes leaders who make substantial contributions to the child welfare field and help improve the lives of children and families in their communities.
Casey Family Programs said Cherna has shown leadership that has improved foster care, permanency and reunification. Cherna, 62, of Shadyside also was noted for leading an agency with a value-driven mission and incorporating a data-driven child welfare system.
“It would not have been made possible without the collective efforts of many individuals, so I accept it on behalf of a team that includes Department of Human Services staff members, our network of providers, our county elected officials and our many supporters who are all working together to improve the welfare of children in Allegheny County,” Cherna said in a statement.
“The strong partnerships that we have formed over my tenure within the county are what make all of our work possible,” he said.
The foundation presented the award to Cherna at its annual meeting on Jan. 15-16.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL notebook: Browns’ Manziel says he tried to avoid altercation
- Pitt’s challenge: Contain Miami’s Johnson, Dorsett
- OPEC decision on crude sets small producers on perilous path, analysts say
- Mirai debut brings fuel cell future closer
- Steelers notebook: Defense has a retro feel
- Fewer Dems to fight for ObamaCare
- Salvation Army in W.Pa. uses social media campaign
- Inside the National Cathedral ‘prayer service’
- Penguins notebook: Malkin clicking on power play
- U.S.-backed rebels push forward in southern Syria
- The AG-designate: Tough questions for Loretta Lynch