Firefighters battle house fire near Hidden Valley Resort
No one was injured in a Monday afternoon fire at a Somerset County home near a busy ski slope at Hidden Valley Resort.
Anna Weltz, spokeswoman for Seven Springs Mountain Resort, owner of the Jefferson Township resort, said no one was inside when the privately owned two-story home on Imperial Drive caught fire about 3:30 p.m.
Activities for the 37th annual Special Olympics Pennsylvania Winter Games were wrapping up nearby at the time, Weltz said. As a precaution, one ski slope and a chairlift were closed in the area nearest to the residence, she said.
About 175 Alpine skiers from Pennsylvania, Virginia and Delaware were expected to compete in giant slalom time trials, Alpine skiing, giant slalom and Super G. Competitions will be held on Bobcat, Continental and Imperial slopes, according to the resort's website.
Events will continue on Tuesday as scheduled, Weltz said.
Firefighters with Bakersville fire department remained on the scene past 9 p.m. and were not available for comment.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates lose on late Cardinals rally
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Family of Children’s Hospital transplant baby urges feds to change cochlear implants policy
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade
- Detained Americans plead U.S. for assistance
- President’s Labor Day appearance heavy on politicking
- Tuesday’s scouting report: Pirates at Cardinals
- Pressure on European Central Bank grows as economic recovery founders