Man dies in Beaver County house fire
A man was killed Wednesday when fire swept through a home in Beaver County, less than a half-mile from the fire hall in Potter.
Township fire Chief Vicki Carlton said the single-story home on West Mowry Road was “an inferno” when she arrived shortly after 8 a.m.
A resident, Gloria Mitko, 76, clad only in pajamas and socks, was making her way out of the home when firefighters arrived, Carlton said.
A cadaver dog was summoned and the body of the man, believed to be Mitko's husband, Michael, 76, was found in the rubble of the basement hours after the fire was extinguished, Beaver County Coroner Teri Tatalovich-Rossi said. Dental records will be used to confirm his identity.
A state police fire marshal will try to determine the cause of the fire that was fueled by oxygen and acetylene tanks and a home heating oil tank, Carlton said.
A fund for the Mitko family is being set up at the Huntingdon Bank in the Beaver Valley Mall, Carlton said.
Michael Hasch is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7820 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Love locks tokens fall prey to renovations on Pittsburgh bridges
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy TV’s odds
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Bike lane work to affect Penn Avenue in Pittsburgh
- MLB notebook: Astros fire manager amid dismal season
- NFL notebook: Rams leave Sam off practice squad
- East Allegheny teachers set to strike on Tuesday
- Surveillance video in Wal-Mart police killing sought
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee in spotlight at Labor Day Parade
- Districts aim to win back students from cyber charters