TribLIVE

| News

 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

Fire damages home in Carnegie; crews battle ice, too

James Knox - Hoses used to put out a Carnegie fire froze and couldn't be rolled up the morning of Friday, Feb. 28, 2014.
<div style='float:right;width:100%;' align='right'><em>James Knox</em></div>Hoses used to put out a Carnegie fire froze and couldn't be rolled up the morning of Friday, Feb. 28, 2014.
James Knox | Tribune-Review - Firefighter Robert Lieiseki (right) tugs on frozen hoses as fellow Crafton firefighters Andrew Beardmore (left) and Mark Hyre (second from left) try to free them after the hoses froze to the sidewalk on Friday, Feb. 28, 2014, following a fire in the 400 block of Ridge Avenue in Carnegie.
<div style='float:right;width:100%;' align='right'><em>James Knox | Tribune-Review</em></div>Firefighter Robert Lieiseki (right) tugs on frozen hoses as fellow Crafton firefighters Andrew Beardmore (left) and Mark Hyre (second from left) try to free them after the hoses froze to the sidewalk on Friday, Feb. 28, 2014, following a fire in the 400 block of Ridge Avenue in Carnegie.

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

Daily Photo Galleries

'American Coyotes' Series

Traveling by Jeep, boat and foot, Tribune-Review investigative reporter Carl Prine and photojournalist Justin Merriman covered nearly 2,000 miles over two months along the border with Mexico to report on coyotes — the human traffickers who bring illegal immigrants into the United States. Most are Americans working for money and/or drugs. This series reports how their operations have a major impact on life for residents and the environment along the border — and beyond.

Friday, Feb. 28, 2014, 9:03 a.m.
 

Ice and cold hindered the cleanup from a house fire in Carnegie early Friday.

No one was hurt in the fire, which was reported about 3 a.m. at a house on Ridge Avenue, Carnegie police said.

After firefighters put out the blaze, their equipment was iced over and the hoses were too frozen to roll up.

A wood-burning fireplace insert might have sparked the fire in an unfinished attic/crawl space of the home, Allegheny County Chief Deputy Fire Marshal Don Brucker said.

The concrete steps to the home were covered in ice, and firefighters' gear and equipment became iced over, he said.

Firefighters used a bus to warm up, Brucker said.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Stories

  1. Pirates notebook: Melancon bails out Watson with extended outing
  2. McCutchen, Pirates cruise past Twins
  3. Mt. Pleasant Cemetery Association seeks aid to finance future upkeep
  4. NHL notebook: Olympic hockey champion Craig to sell prized memorabilia items
  5. Fed holds steady on rates
  6. Steelers’ Bell unsure why NFL reduced his suspension
  7. Chiefs star Berry beats cancer, returns to field
  8. Gameday: Pirates at Reds, July 30, 2015
  9. Beaver County widow won’t lose home over $6.30 late fee
  10. Folding chair collapses, child loses tips of at least 2 fingers in Arlington
  11. Steelers unfazed by Brady suspension saga