TribLIVE

| News


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

5 people overcome by carbon monoxide in Glassport

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

Daily Photo Galleries

Wednesday, March 19, 2014, 8:51 p.m.
 

Five people — four of them children — were taken to the hospital after being overcome by carbon monoxide at a home in Glassport.

Firefighters and paramedics were called at 7:48 p.m. to the two-story house on Vermont Avenue for a report of several people possibly being ill, said fire Chief Wayne Lewis Jr.

A woman and the children — ages 5 to 15 — were outside the home when firefighters arrived, Lewis said.

“An 11-year-old boy appeared to be very serious,” Lewis said. “He was conscious but not alert.”

All five were taken to UPMC Presbyterian in Oakland for evaluation and treatment, the chief said.

“Three crews went inside the house with (carbon monoxide) meters. All showed high levels of carbon monoxide,” Lewis said.

The source of the carbon monoxide was not known.

Gas company workers were called to find the problem, Lewis said.

Michael Hasch is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7820 or at mhasch@tribweb.com.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Stories

  1. Pittsburgh Regatta will go on without boats, water events
  2. Rossi: Rutherford shines as old boss pouts
  3. Crane tips over, smashes into roof of building at Pitt
  4. Record-breaking solar-powered plane lands in Hawaii after flight from Japan
  5. LaBar: What’s killing professional wrestling
  6. Public implored to avoid iPhone cases that resemble guns
  7. Homebrewers timid when choosing commercial styles
  8. Former Jeannette coach held for trial on charges of assault on teen girls
  9. Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Tigers
  10. Shaken by economic, political turmoil, MLB forsaking Venezuela
  11. Lower Burrell couple charged with 6 misdemeanor counts of animal cruelty