TribLIVE

| News


 
Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

5 people overcome by carbon monoxide in Glassport

Daily Photo Galleries

Wednesday, March 19, 2014, 8:51 p.m.
 

Five people — four of them children — were taken to the hospital after being overcome by carbon monoxide at a home in Glassport.

Firefighters and paramedics were called at 7:48 p.m. to the two-story house on Vermont Avenue for a report of several people possibly being ill, said fire Chief Wayne Lewis Jr.

A woman and the children — ages 5 to 15 — were outside the home when firefighters arrived, Lewis said.

“An 11-year-old boy appeared to be very serious,” Lewis said. “He was conscious but not alert.”

All five were taken to UPMC Presbyterian in Oakland for evaluation and treatment, the chief said.

“Three crews went inside the house with (carbon monoxide) meters. All showed high levels of carbon monoxide,” Lewis said.

The source of the carbon monoxide was not known.

Gas company workers were called to find the problem, Lewis said.

Michael Hasch is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7820 or at mhasch@tribweb.com.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.

 

 
 


Show commenting policy

Most-Read Stories

  1. Pirates notebook: Tabata rediscovering his power
  2. Pirates sickened by pic of ‘Jihadi John’ wearing Bucs ball cap
  3. AG Kane’s spokesman leaving after 2 months on the job
  4. At Pitt, a chance to make early impression under Narduzzi
  5. Highmark lays off nearly 100 workers, mostly in IT, as membership declines
  6. Two charged with selling heroin that killed Lower Burrell woman
  7. Podiatrist, 6 others charged in prescription painkiller scheme
  8. Seton-La Salle girls defeat rival Bishop Canevin to capture 7th WPIAL title
  9. Undercover officers seize more than 2 dozen guns from Oakdale man
  10. Why would GOP candidate for Missouri governor Schweich kill himself?
  11. Trade for Winnik gives Penguins competition among bottom six