Primanti manager accused of stealing funds, gambling it away at casino, waives hearing
The manager of four suburban Primanti Bros. restaurants will stand trial on charges that he stole $30,000 and gambled it away at a casino.
Ben Bartilson, 30, of McKeesport waived his preliminary hearing on Thursday before North Versailles District Judge Robert Barner.
Bartilson is charged with three counts of theft and one count of misapplication of entrusted funds.
Two women and his attorney, John Foster, accompanied him to court. They all declined to comment.
Bartilson managed Primanti locations in North Versailles, Robinson, Moon and Pleasant Hills. He admitted to stealing the money in text messages to his boss, Morghan McLaughlin, saying he took the money because he didn't receive a bonus, according to a criminal complaint written by Jackelyn Weibel, a detective with the Allegheny County District Attorney's Office.
Bartilson was supposed to have deposited daily receipts for the restaurants. Weibel said the alleged thefts were from locations in North Versailles, Robinson and Moon between Feb. 12-23.
Primanti Bros. officials did not return calls. They discovered $30,064 missing, but it wasn't clear why no one realized the money wasn't deposited until Bartilson confessed.
Bartilson has no criminal record. Chase Bank sued him for failing to pay a $6,300 credit card bill in 2009, court records show. He paid the bill and $300 in attorney's fees a year later.
Adam Brandolph is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers clinch playoff berth with win over Chiefs
- Starkey: Chryst a miserable failure at Pitt
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by to watch
- Groom cited at Farmington wedding reception being filmed for reality TV show
- Outdoor notices: Dec. 22, 2014
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Pitt football fights to overcome steppingstone status
- Pitt players support Rudolph for job
- Car wash explosion, fire injures 2 in McDonald
- Energy sector adjusts to global oil plummet
- South Fayette football team distributes Steelers tickets to Carlynton, Wilkinsburg