Egg decorating turns to fight, charges in Brookline, police say
An Easter egg decorating party that went very wrong led a Brookline man to pelt his girlfriend with hard-boiled eggs before attempting to stab Pittsburgh police officers with a sword, authorities said.
Aaron Goempel, 27, was awaiting arraignment in the Allegheny County Jail for his arrest on aggravated assault charges stemming from the domestic disturbance shortly after midnight Sunday.
Police said they responded to reports of a fight inside a Wareman Avenue apartment and found a woman whose right eye was red and swollen. She told three officers that when accusing Goempel of cheating on her, he became agitated and began hurling eggs at her. He barricaded himself in the bedroom with an exercise machine against the door, police said.
Once officers got through the door, Goempel reached for a row of knives and swords atop his dresser. Police got him under control and took him to a cruiser, where they said he started yelling racist obscenities at one of the officers and then kicked another in the groin.
According to court records, Goempel's criminal record includes guilty verdicts for disorderly conduct and public drunkenness dating to 2008.
He awaits trial on charges of harassment, prowling, assault and traffic violations.
Carl Prine is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7826 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ Pouncey to file countersuit against nightclub accusers
- Rossi: Roethlisberger staging big comeback
- Fans head to Jason Aldean concert in droves
- Penn State names Barbour new AD
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell to miss beginning of training camp
- 3 rockets hit Israel as Hamas rejects Gaza truce
- News Alert
- After year off, Steelers’ Pouncey ‘ready to go’
- Megan’s Law offender in Greensburg arrested when girl, 13, found hiding in shower
- Steelers won’t negotiate Roethlisberger extension until after season
- Locals urged to report, not kill honeybees