Shady Side Academy students win at state Science Olympiad
Shady Side Academy Middle School finished first in its division of the 2014 Pennsylvania Science Olympiad State Finals at Juniata College.
The team will compete in the national tournament at the University of Central Florida in Orlando on May 16-17. The state competition brought more than 1,000 high school and middle school students to the Juniata campus on Friday.
Teams qualified by being among top finishers at regional competitions. The competition challenges students' deductive and reasoning skills.
The Science Olympiad, a nonprofit organization, was founded to improve the quality of science education, increase student interest in science and recognize outstanding achievement in science education.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers to retire Joe Greene’s jersey number
- Pirates’ Alvarez continues to sit, work on throwing woes
- Lenders could move against Anchor Hocking as extension expires
- Pittsburgh braces for waves of marches, demonstrations this week
- Starkey: Would one big move kill Pirates’ future?
- Steelers offensive linemen looking to build on strong 2013 finish
- Temple dumps SAT, ACT scores from application process
- Pirates inquire about Red Sox LHP Lester
- 6 cited for trespassing on UPMC property at union rally
- Western Pa. commission pitches $4.7 billion wish list to state
- Natrona Heights woman burned in trailer fire