Shady Side Academy students win at state Science Olympiad
Shady Side Academy Middle School finished first in its division of the 2014 Pennsylvania Science Olympiad State Finals at Juniata College.
The team will compete in the national tournament at the University of Central Florida in Orlando on May 16-17. The state competition brought more than 1,000 high school and middle school students to the Juniata campus on Friday.
Teams qualified by being among top finishers at regional competitions. The competition challenges students' deductive and reasoning skills.
The Science Olympiad, a nonprofit organization, was founded to improve the quality of science education, increase student interest in science and recognize outstanding achievement in science education.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Michigan State defensive coordinator a Pitt coaching candidate
- Port Authority fires two bus drivers involved in rollover crash
- Pirates sign Corey Hart to 1-year deal
- Steelers must be creative in providing snaps for linebackers
- LCB ruling could mean home-delivered beer in Pa.
- Police gather in Ligonier for Perryopolis officer’s funeral
- Arbitration decides Westmoreland court workers’ pact
- Analysis: Misunderstood Chryst served Pitt well
- Giant Eagle Inc. appears to have settled ‘fuelperks!’ lawsuit
- Rossi: Brawl for ADs between Pitt and WVU
- Review: No improper contact between Pa. Supreme Court justices, lawyers