Shady Side Academy students win at state Science Olympiad
Shady Side Academy Middle School finished first in its division of the 2014 Pennsylvania Science Olympiad State Finals at Juniata College.
The team will compete in the national tournament at the University of Central Florida in Orlando on May 16-17. The state competition brought more than 1,000 high school and middle school students to the Juniata campus on Friday.
Teams qualified by being among top finishers at regional competitions. The competition challenges students' deductive and reasoning skills.
The Science Olympiad, a nonprofit organization, was founded to improve the quality of science education, increase student interest in science and recognize outstanding achievement in science education.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Pirates, Burnett could work again
- Polamalu enters training camp as Steelers’ longest tenured player
- Outfielder Polanco driving force for Pirates in victory over Dodgers
- Pirates notebook: Phillies’ Burnett not demanding trade
- Pitt swingman Jones ready for breakout season
- Plane crashes in bad weather in Taiwan, killing 51
- Allegheny County warns of uptick in Lyme disease cases
- Pop star Perry brings high-energy world tour to Consol
- Black leaders back developer’s offer, say it could save August Wilson Center
- Selig: Pirates’ rebirth a positive step for baseball
- Hollidaysburg native Lafferty relishing his chance with Penguins