Shady Side Academy students win at state Science Olympiad
Shady Side Academy Middle School finished first in its division of the 2014 Pennsylvania Science Olympiad State Finals at Juniata College.
The team will compete in the national tournament at the University of Central Florida in Orlando on May 16-17. The state competition brought more than 1,000 high school and middle school students to the Juniata campus on Friday.
Teams qualified by being among top finishers at regional competitions. The competition challenges students' deductive and reasoning skills.
The Science Olympiad, a nonprofit organization, was founded to improve the quality of science education, increase student interest in science and recognize outstanding achievement in science education.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pens’ Dupuis out at least a month with lower-body injury
- Starkey: Searage, Pirates ultra-confident
- Steelers’ Bryant returns from drug suspension, ‘won’t happen again’
- New Steelers kicker Boswell ready for challenge at Heinz
- Road crews are dealing with oil and sealant spills on roadways
- Allegheny Township home destroyed by fire
- Husband, wife die in apparent murder-suicide in Baldwin Borough
- Latrobe infant found in filth, police say
- Audit: Pennsylvania’s education master plan is 16 years out of date
- Canon-McMillan drops U.S. Postal Service from condemnation action
- Pa. Gov. Wolf pushes ‘broad-based tax increase’ to avoid $2B deficit