Another Chatham administrator leaving post
Chatham University's chief academic officer, Wenying Xu, will leave the school in June to become provost of Jacksonville University in Florida, Chatham officials announced on Thursday.
The announcement occurs one week after Chatham trustees voted to admit men to the 145-year-old women's college in Shadyside, and a week after Karol Dean, dean of the women's college at Chatham, announced her resignation.
Chatham spokesman Bill Campbell said Xu's resignation was not related to the trustees' vote to admit men.
“(Xu) was a big supporter of the coed decision and was part of the process. She'd been in Florida before and has a husband and a young son there. For her, this is going back home. And it's a bigger university,” Campbell said.
Xu could not be reached for comment.
Jacksonville, which is coed, has an enrollment of 4,157, compared with 2,170 at Chatham.
Like Dean, Xu had been at Chatham for two years. And like Xu, Dean left to accept a position in a larger university as dean of the School of Social Sciences at Mercy College in metropolitan New York.
The resignations occur as Chatham prepares to reorganize its academic units in anticipation of admitting men to the undergraduate college in fall 2015.
“We're just starting the process,” Campbell said.
Chatham officials cited declining enrollment in the women's college and increasing costs as among the reasons for going coed. The university admits men to its graduate and professional education programs.
Debra Erdley is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-320-7996.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Inside the ropes: Shazier shows off speed
- Steelers hope new faces breathe life into team
- Grand jury report says Western Psych failed to cooperate with police
- Steelers notebook: Team hasn’t called on Keisel, Harrison yet
- Pirates notebook: Mercer welcomes chance in No. 2 spot
- Killer sharks are taking over the air, and the airwaves
- Sewickley Township man got food stamps, $206K in gas well royalties, investigators say
- 1 intruder killed, other shot and wounded in Carrick home invasion
- Police say naked woman stabs three women during street fight in McKees Rocks
- Westmoreland women stole thousands to finance dog show appearances, police say
- NFL notebook: Ex-Steeler Sanders picks Manning over Big Ben