Firm completes $1.3M purchase of rat-infested Hazelwood recycling facility
A Pittsburgh firm completed a $1.3 million purchase of a bankrupt, rat-infested Hazelwood recycling center, its attorney said.
A federal bankruptcy judge last week approved the sale of Pittsburgh Recycling Services Inc. to GGMJS LLC, a Pittsburgh-based holding company. Downtown attorney Kirk Burkley, who represents the company, said the sale closed on Tuesday.
Under the terms of the sale, the company has five days to begin ridding the Vespucius Street facility of rats and removing recyclable materials left behind when it closed in January.
Residents have complained of rodent infestation, dirt and a stench emanating from the facility. Burkley has said the company hopes to resume recycling operations, but it's unclear when that could happen.
Bob Bauder is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-765-2312 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Fire at Dollar General in Rostraver under control, dispatchers say
- California University police officer alleges discrimination
- MLB notebook: Rays manager Maddon opts out of contract
- Script is it: Classic Pitt helmet design to return
- Fayette County woman pleads guilty to trying to kill romantic rival with SUV
- Blind players battle for chess championship
- Hit-run motorist in Mt. Lebanon sought
- Attack on Egypt army post in Sinai peninsula kills 30 troops
- Protestants preparing for Reformation Sunday observances
- Predators winger Neal caught ‘blindsided’ by trade from Penguins