Fire at Butler County well site extinguished
A fire at a Rex Energy Corp. well site burned for about an hour on Tuesday until Butler County firefighters put it out with a chemical agent, officials said.
An evacuation was not ordered, authorities said.
The fire was reported about 6:45 p.m. at the Lynn well pad on Meridian Road at the intersection of Powder Mill Road in Butler Township.
The fire involved a storage tank at the well head, said Steve Bicehouse, county emergency services director. The tank stored about 200 barrels of a natural gas byproduct, said Butler Township fire Chief Toby Wehr. There were no injuries.
“We do not believe that any environmental or health impacts occurred as a result of this event,” according to a statement from Rex Energy. “Rex gas ... will take all necessary steps to determine the incident's cause.”
Preliminary indications are that a valve on a production tank might have malfunctioned, a company spokesman said.
The company does not believe there was any damage to the well.
The state Department of Environmental Protection is investigating.
Bill Vidonic is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins add adviser PJT Partners to assist in potential sale
- Penn State goaltender Skoff gets chance to impress the Penguins
- Storm causes scattered power outages in central Westmoreland County
- 1,500 lose power in Alle-Kiski Valley
- Weather puts county emergency operations into ‘storm mode’
- Judge sentences Arnold man already serving time to prison on federal charges
- Violent domestic dispute prompts evacuation of Spring Hill neighbors
- Pirates notebook: Kang settling in to comfort zone
- District 31 Legion roundup: Latrobe rallies in 7th to defeat rival Unity
- Suspended Maryland wide receiver eyeing Pitt
- West Virginia defense looks to reach higher level of play this year