Pittsburgh nonprofits robust financially, report says
The biggest nonprofit groups in the Pittsburgh area are rolling in dough, according to a report released on Tuesday by a charity watchdog.
The report from Charity Navigator included 50 of the biggest nonprofits in the area. It ranked them first nationally in financial health and fifth overall when including transparency and accountability.
“Pittsburgh charities have quite a healthy rainy day fund, with roughly a year-and-a-half worth of funds on hand,” Sandra Miniutti, vice president of Charity Navigator in Glen Rock, N.J.
The report gathered data from the nonprofits' tax documents and websites.
Miniutti said Pittsburgh nonprofits received high marks for being financially efficient, with the bulk of money they raised going to their missions. Last year, Pittsburgh ranked 14th in financial health and seventh in the overall ranking.
“It looks like charities in Pittsburgh were able to bring in more revenue,” Miniutti said. “That's certainly commendable for nonprofit leaders in this tough economy.”
Pittsburgh was 26th of 30 markets surveyed in transparency and accountability. It fell behind the national average in the percentage of nonprofits listing board members and making audits and federal income tax returns available.
St. Louis was first in the overall ranking. Philadelphia was 13th.
Bill Zlatos is a Trib Total Media staff writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers finalize 53-man roster
- Pitt cruises past Delaware in season opener
- Coping with Kids: Cool products for family road trips
- Pirates notebook: Morton status remains in limbo
- Former Steelers linebacker Harrison retires
- Woman killed in Fayette County van-motorcycle collision
- Outbound 376 reopened after man on exit sign caused closure
- AFL-CIO: Wolf out in front in city’s Labor Day parade
- Penn State edges Central Florida on last-second field goal
- Secret judicial ruling blocks release of sexually explicit emails
- 90,000 people could hit the North Shore for games, ribs