Tree falls on car in Somerset County; 2 kids killed
Somerset County police say a falling tree has landed on a moving car, killing two of the four children sitting in the back seat.
Police said the car was heading south on Route 403 in Conemaugh Township when the tree struck the back of the car Monday afternoon.
Coroner Wallace Miller says two children died of blunt force trauma. Their ages weren't immediately released.
Police say the male driver, a pregnant woman and the other two children were injured and taken to Conemaugh Memorial Medical Center, where their condition was unavailable.
Police Chief Louis Barclay says an accident reconstruction determined that the tree was rotted at the base. He says, “All indications are it was just a freak accident.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- With Malkin out, Penguins fall to Flyers, 4-1
- Ligonier Township business will have to control grease
- Teacher from Mt. Lebanon kept home, made repairs around house
- Former Plum teacher says he warned district about possible inappropriate conduct
- Freeport Area moves ahead with high school turning lanes
- Pirates’ McCutchen leaves game early, says he is not hurt
- Legislator discusses gas tax, budget at Seven Springs luncheon
- Authorities release name of Greensburg man who jumped off overpass onto Route 30
- Jeannette teen ordered to stand trial in classmate’s slaying
- EDMC schools on federal list for poor financial management
- New car buyers tap the brakes in March after torrid run