Rain pounds South Hills, flooding roads, homes
Heavy rains flooded roads and basements and knocked out power Saturday evening in portions of the South Hills, stranding some motorists caught in the deluge.
“It was raining so hard, I couldn't see the trees in my yard,” said Maggie Shoup, 20, of Scott.
The downpour blew manhole covers off the road, she said.
“We have responded right now to 27 water emergencies inside structures, several roads flooded and vehicles with people trapped inside,” said John Levi, fire chief of the Bower Hill Volunteer Fire Department in Scott.
Levi said he was not aware of any injuries.
Carnegie Mayor Jack Kobistek said conditions were “really bad,” especially on Charles Street, where he was in ankle-deep water at about 9 p.m. directing traffic.
Route 50 through the borough was mostly underwater, he said.
Firefighters were pumping out basements on Rock-hill road and going house to house in the Bower Hill neighborhood of Scott.
Tim Sexton, 42, of Rock-hill Road said he had 2 feet of water in his basement,
“It's sewage back-up. Every time it rains hard, we're getting water in here,” he said. A heavy rain about the same time last year flooded his basement with about 3 feet of water. Sexton said he didn't think the sewers were large enough to handle such a large volume of rain.
A manhole and cistern blew out at Vanadium and Montgomery roads and caused a sinkhole at a railroad underpass, Levi said, closing the road there.
Levi said Allegheny County maintenance crews would check the damage.
Flooding also was reported in Green Tree, according to Allegheny County dispatchers.
Allegheny County's emergency response crews were on standby and would help if asked, said county spokeswoman Amy Downs
Roxanne Shoup, 48, Maggie's mother, said flooding is a recurring problem in the Rockhill Road-Spring Valley Road section of Scott.
The storm knocked out power for about 750 customers in Beechview, Dormont and Green Tree, said Brian Knavish of Duquesne Light. He expected power to be restored by 2 a.m.
Staff writer Megan Guza contributed. Bob Bauder is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-765-2312 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Consol Energy cutting retiree health benefits, phasing out pension
- Penguins release Carcillo from tryout contract
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback
- Pirates’ Martin calls crowd chant ‘pretty special’
- Highmark to increase premiums, limit access to health care in new plans
- Woman dies in fall at McConnells Mill State Park
- Dense fog slows Western Pa. morning rush hour; advisory extended
- Police: Westmoreland woman forged painkiller prescriptions