Suspect arrested in Fineview homicide
Pittsburgh police arrested a Fineview man in the fatal stabbing of his girlfriend's son in the Allegheny Dwellings apartments on Sunday, authorities said.
Investigators earlier identified Michael Monroe, 43, as a suspect in the death of Dereck Frye, 22, about 5:45 a.m. in the 1700 block of Belleau Drive in Fineview.
Officers spotted Monroe's 2007 Chevy Impala on Mt. Oliver Street before taking him into custody.
According to the warrant for his arrest, Monroe had been dating Frye's mother for eight months and began physically abusing her in the past three months.
She called him at 4 a.m. Sunday to ask where he was and when he was coming home, police said. Monroe argued with and assaulted her in their apartment, then left their bedroom.
When he returned a few minutes later, he threatened her with a bloody butcher knife. She fled and saw her son leaning against the door of a second-floor apartment, unresponsive. Detectives recovered the knife inside the apartment, according to a statement accompanying the warrant.
Monroe is charged with homicide, assault and making terroristic threats, and was being held in the Allegheny County Jail on Sunday night, public safety spokeswoman Sonya Toler said.
Monroe pleaded guilty to fleeing and eluding police in October and was sentenced to 23 days' time served. He pleaded guilty to simple assault in July 2013.
Matthew Santoni is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-380-5625 .
Add Matthew Santoni to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins notebook: No discipline for Capitals’ Wilson
- Ruling favors Vikings’ Peterson, sets up reinstatement
- Shoulder injury sidelines top-seeded 126-pounder at WPIAL wrestling tournament
- Pennsylvania House passes liquor system privatization bill
- Previously convicted of embezzlement, Mt. Pleasant postal worker accused of mail theft
- Rossi: Winnik nice, but not enough for Penguins
- Bettman `intrigued’ by possible outdoor game at Beaver Stadium
- Woman charged for holding teen drinking party after video found at Penn-Trafford
- Pirates willing to consider high salary to keep star McCutchen
- Federal grand jury indicts chief operations manager for Pittsburgh office of Horizons Hospice
- Penguins finally find way to beat Capitals