Suspect arrested in Fineview homicide
Pittsburgh police arrested a Fineview man in the fatal stabbing of his girlfriend's son in the Allegheny Dwellings apartments on Sunday, authorities said.
Investigators earlier identified Michael Monroe, 43, as a suspect in the death of Dereck Frye, 22, about 5:45 a.m. in the 1700 block of Belleau Drive in Fineview.
Officers spotted Monroe's 2007 Chevy Impala on Mt. Oliver Street before taking him into custody.
According to the warrant for his arrest, Monroe had been dating Frye's mother for eight months and began physically abusing her in the past three months.
She called him at 4 a.m. Sunday to ask where he was and when he was coming home, police said. Monroe argued with and assaulted her in their apartment, then left their bedroom.
When he returned a few minutes later, he threatened her with a bloody butcher knife. She fled and saw her son leaning against the door of a second-floor apartment, unresponsive. Detectives recovered the knife inside the apartment, according to a statement accompanying the warrant.
Monroe is charged with homicide, assault and making terroristic threats, and was being held in the Allegheny County Jail on Sunday night, public safety spokeswoman Sonya Toler said.
Monroe pleaded guilty to fleeing and eluding police in October and was sentenced to 23 days' time served. He pleaded guilty to simple assault in July 2013.
Matthew Santoni is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-380-5625 .
Add Matthew Santoni to your Google+ circles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Kin of 2013 DUI crash victim in Hempfield lose young family in fire
- Harrison woman dead in 3-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- Bortuzzo could provide much-needed physical presence for Penguins
- For all but 2 minutes vs. Steelers, Texans played ‘pretty good game’
- DNA evidence in alleged June 2013 rape leads to Latrobe man’s arrest
- Pa. Supreme Court Justice McCaffery suspended in email porn scandal
- Ferrante defense says arrest of prosecutor’s boyfriend could affect case