Pittsburgh courts National League of Cities conference in 2016
Pittsburgh is looking to host the National League of Cities' Congress of Cities and Exposition conference in 2016.
City Councilman Dan Gilman of Shadyside on Tuesday sponsored a resolution at Mayor Bill Peduto's request that invites the league to Pittsburgh. The NLC bills the event as the “nation's largest educational event for city officials,” and typically attracts 4,000 attendees.
One of Peduto's first acts as mayor was renewing Pittsburgh's membership in the league. Peduto spokesman Tim McNulty called the convention invitation a “first step” in its bid.
“The mayor has traveled around the country and the world telling the story of Pittsburgh,” McNulty said. “He's also trying to bring others to learn Pittsburgh's story first-hand.”
The NLC is a forum for leaders from 19,000 American cities to share ideas, collaborate on strategy and lobby for the betterment of their communities, according to the council resolution.
The league's Congress of Cities and Exposition conference this year is set for Nov. 18-22 in Austin, Texas. The 2015 congress is scheduled for mid-November in Nashville.
Gilman said the conference would be a great way to mark the 200th anniversary of the city's 1816 incorporation.
“(It) marks the city's birthday and makes the perfect year to showcase our great story to the entire country,” he said.
Bob Bauder is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at 412-765-2312 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Jerome Bettis to be enshrined in hall of fame
- Snow, freezing rain, bitter cold coming to Western Pa.
- Tennessee quarterback Peterman considers transfer to Pitt
- Familiar Downtown Pittsburgh presence lost arm, leg to train
- Suggestions are aplenty on what Penguins need to break through
- Rossi: History beckons for Seattle’s Seahawks
- Starkey: Pitt needs this version of James Robinson
- Gulls fleeing frozen Great Lakes fill skies over Pittsburgh’s Point
- Voters opt for ‘Don’t Know’ in 2016 presidential race, Susquehanna poll finds
- Penguins minor league notebook: Rookie Wilson emerges as 3rd-line NHL prospect
- Pitt upsets No. 8 Notre Dame to snap losing streak