Westmoreland County fireman dies after motorcycle crash
A firefighter from Hempfield died after a motorcycle accident in Hempfield Township Thursday afternoon.
Joseph Muller, 54, was riding his Harley-Davidson motorcycle south on Route 119 at about 2:40 p.m. according to state police. As he approached an intersection, a Toyota sport utility vehicle driven by William Mclay, 67, of Hempfield pulled in front of him from Bothwell Road.
Muller struck the car and was thrown from his motorcycle.
He was taken to UPMC Presbyterian in Pittsburgh, where he died at 9:12 p.m., according to the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office.
Muller was a longtime volunteer with the Fort Allen Fire Department in Hempfield.
Fellow firefighters declined to comment on his death at his family's request but posted an announcement on the department's Facebook page:
“It is with sad news the Fort Allen VFD reports the passing of Life Member Joe Muller Sr. Mr. Muller held numerous positions within the department, both on the Board and Line Officer. ... The fire service has lost a dedicated brother fireman.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pair of NYC officers killed in ambush shooting
- Pitt survives Oakland’s upset bid with overtime victory
- Newbill scores 20 as Penn State holds off Drexel
- ‘Cause for Paws’ telethon helps dogs find homes
- Real estate union: Howard Hanna buys Langholz Wilson Ellis
- Pittsburgh police break up customer fights over Air Jordan 11 shoes
- Penguins missing Martin, Ehrhoff, Adams; prized prospect Pouliot called up
- Butler legislator gives weekly GOP address
- Undersized Beachum quietly excels at 1 of game’s pivotal positions
- Cat saved from California storm drain after 2 weeks
- Outdoors notices: Dec. 21, 2014