Westmoreland County fireman dies after motorcycle crash
A firefighter from Hempfield died after a motorcycle accident in Hempfield Township Thursday afternoon.
Joseph Muller, 54, was riding his Harley-Davidson motorcycle south on Route 119 at about 2:40 p.m. according to state police. As he approached an intersection, a Toyota sport utility vehicle driven by William Mclay, 67, of Hempfield pulled in front of him from Bothwell Road.
Muller struck the car and was thrown from his motorcycle.
He was taken to UPMC Presbyterian in Pittsburgh, where he died at 9:12 p.m., according to the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office.
Muller was a longtime volunteer with the Fort Allen Fire Department in Hempfield.
Fellow firefighters declined to comment on his death at his family's request but posted an announcement on the department's Facebook page:
“It is with sad news the Fort Allen VFD reports the passing of Life Member Joe Muller Sr. Mr. Muller held numerous positions within the department, both on the Board and Line Officer. ... The fire service has lost a dedicated brother fireman.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Western PA Wildcatz semipro football team chasing national title
- Steelers to retire Joe Greene’s jersey number
- Steelers offensive linemen looking to build on strong 2013 finish
- Shooting in Northview Heights leaves one man dead, another injured
- 2 sentenced for avoiding arrest after Steelers player was stabbed
- Takei to host Pittsburgh Pops ‘Sci-Fi’ concerts
- Duquense teen to stand trial on charges he shot, killed unborn child
- Lenders could move against Anchor Hocking as extension expires
- Former IU4 director enters guilty plea to stealing from agency
- Law enforcement, intelligence agencies want to ‘like’ you on social media
- Pirates’ Alvarez continues to sit, work on throwing woes