Westmoreland County fireman dies after motorcycle crash
A firefighter from Hempfield died after a motorcycle accident in Hempfield Township Thursday afternoon.
Joseph Muller, 54, was riding his Harley-Davidson motorcycle south on Route 119 at about 2:40 p.m. according to state police. As he approached an intersection, a Toyota sport utility vehicle driven by William Mclay, 67, of Hempfield pulled in front of him from Bothwell Road.
Muller struck the car and was thrown from his motorcycle.
He was taken to UPMC Presbyterian in Pittsburgh, where he died at 9:12 p.m., according to the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office.
Muller was a longtime volunteer with the Fort Allen Fire Department in Hempfield.
Fellow firefighters declined to comment on his death at his family's request but posted an announcement on the department's Facebook page:
“It is with sad news the Fort Allen VFD reports the passing of Life Member Joe Muller Sr. Mr. Muller held numerous positions within the department, both on the Board and Line Officer. ... The fire service has lost a dedicated brother fireman.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ Martavis Bryant facing four-game suspension
- Deadly heroin was laced with fentanyl, district attorney says
- Hill District groups asks why locals not part of Penguins project design opportunity
- Steelers rookie receiver Coates learning on the fly
- Former Consol employee wins nearly $587K in ‘Mark of the Beast’ lawsuit
- State agents arrest Ford City man on child porn charges
- North Hills High School planetarium converted to digital theater
- 4 arrested for allegedly robbing 96-year-old Crafton Heights woman
- Crowd sparse to protest Vick at Steelers’ facility
- Balloon belly-buster installed at Magee-Womens extolled
- Inspectors find deficiencies at Living Treasures Animal Park in Donegal