Westmoreland County fireman dies after motorcycle crash
A firefighter from Hempfield died after a motorcycle accident in Hempfield Township Thursday afternoon.
Joseph Muller, 54, was riding his Harley-Davidson motorcycle south on Route 119 at about 2:40 p.m. according to state police. As he approached an intersection, a Toyota sport utility vehicle driven by William Mclay, 67, of Hempfield pulled in front of him from Bothwell Road.
Muller struck the car and was thrown from his motorcycle.
He was taken to UPMC Presbyterian in Pittsburgh, where he died at 9:12 p.m., according to the Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Office.
Muller was a longtime volunteer with the Fort Allen Fire Department in Hempfield.
Fellow firefighters declined to comment on his death at his family's request but posted an announcement on the department's Facebook page:
“It is with sad news the Fort Allen VFD reports the passing of Life Member Joe Muller Sr. Mr. Muller held numerous positions within the department, both on the Board and Line Officer. ... The fire service has lost a dedicated brother fireman.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Harrison rejects criticism of disorderly conduct ordinance
- Nearing 25 years together, WPXI anchors Johnson, Finnegan defy odds
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Ford City explores beefing up code enforcement
- RX Fit brings cross-training to Ford City
- Pa. judge identified who denied Trib request to view sexually explicit emails circulated in AG’s Office
- Western Pa. districts aim to win back students from cyber charters