State police identify teen who drowned in Slippery Rock Creek
An Ellwood City teen died while swimming in Slippery Rock Creek with friends Sunday, Pennsylvania State Police said.
State police identified the victim as John Wayne Durnell, 17. Durnell drowned in the strong currents while trying to swim across the Lawrence County creek at about 4:30 p.m., state police said.
The Lawrence County Dive Team and the New Castle City Fire Department Dive Team recovered Durnell's body.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Tomlin: Taylor back, Polamalu probable for return vs. Saints
- Fire destroys Armstrong County tavern
- IUP student dies from injuries after he was pinned beneath car
- Brentwood police chief to get nearly $200,000 as part of settlement agreement with borough
- Car crashes into Cranberry store, no one injured
- KitchenWise: Make better mashed potatoes with a small change
- Fire at a Robert Morris University dormitory hall will displace 10 students
- Monongahela paramedic dies in the line of duty
- Jeannette man pleads guilty to attempting to entice child in Louisiana
- Jury finds Rayshawn Williams guilty of first-degree murder
- Pirates star McCutchen marries in private ceremony