State police identify teen who drowned in Slippery Rock Creek
An Ellwood City teen died while swimming in Slippery Rock Creek with friends Sunday, Pennsylvania State Police said.
State police identified the victim as John Wayne Durnell, 17. Durnell drowned in the strong currents while trying to swim across the Lawrence County creek at about 4:30 p.m., state police said.
The Lawrence County Dive Team and the New Castle City Fire Department Dive Team recovered Durnell's body.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 4-year-old transplant recipient Angelo Giorno from Derry on life support, family says
- Hacker stuns Dayton family with computer takeover
- Steelers accomplish mission to get younger, faster on defense
- In reworking contract, Steelers WR Brown gets hefty pay raise
- Steelers trying to get missing defensive pieces on field
- Gameday: Pirates at Brewers, Sept. 3, 2015
- Point after touchdowns are extra special in NFL this season
- Police warn of phony fundraiser for Somerset Hospital
- Through all gimmicks, NFL remains downfield passer league
- NFL going back to the future with Los Angeles
- Officials stop packages with ‘inappropriate’ material intended for Murrysville girls