U.S. Marine from East Washington charged with fatally shooting wife in N.C.
RICHLANDS, N.C. — Onslow County sheriff's deputies said a Marine, who formerly lived in East Washington, has been charged with shooting and killing his wife at their North Carolina home.
The sheriff's office said deputies were called to a home near Richlands about 9:45 p.m. Sunday.
Deputies said Jordan Skaggs, 31, was found dead from gunshot wounds to the chest.
Her husband, Christopher Michael Skaggs, 32, was charged with murder and is being held in Onslow County jail. It was not clear if he has an attorney.
Deputies said a gun was recovered at the scene. Sheriff Ed Brown said the couple had three children who were next door swimming when the shooting occurred.
The Marine Corps said Skaggs is a sergeant on the staff of the School of Infantry East at Camp Geiger at New River Air Station.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt’s challenge: Contani Miami’s Johnson, Dorsett
- OPEC decision on crude sets small producers on perilous path, analysts say
- NFL notebook: Browns’ Manziel says he tried to avoid altercation
- Fewer Dems to fight for ObamaCare
- Steelers notebook: Defense has a retro feel
- Inside the National Cathedral ‘prayer service’
- U.S.-backed rebels push forward in southern Syria
- Penguins notebook: Malkin clicking on power play
- The AG-designate: Tough questions for Loretta Lynch
- Moral confusion in Ferguson
- Fair funding for schools