U.S. Marine from East Washington charged with fatally shooting wife in N.C.
RICHLANDS, N.C. — Onslow County sheriff's deputies said a Marine, who formerly lived in East Washington, has been charged with shooting and killing his wife at their North Carolina home.
The sheriff's office said deputies were called to a home near Richlands about 9:45 p.m. Sunday.
Deputies said Jordan Skaggs, 31, was found dead from gunshot wounds to the chest.
Her husband, Christopher Michael Skaggs, 32, was charged with murder and is being held in Onslow County jail. It was not clear if he has an attorney.
Deputies said a gun was recovered at the scene. Sheriff Ed Brown said the couple had three children who were next door swimming when the shooting occurred.
The Marine Corps said Skaggs is a sergeant on the staff of the School of Infantry East at Camp Geiger at New River Air Station.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pitt football notebook: Athletic department seeking fans’ input
- Pa. bear hunters off to good start
- Pirates star McCutchen marries in private ceremony
- Pine-Richland’s ‘Neil’ the ram has happy home
- NFL notebook: Chiefs safety Berry may have lymphoma
- Grand jury reaches decision in Ferguson shooting
- With sanctions, sliding oil prices, Russia losing more than $100B a year, finance minister says
- Stocks stake claim in record territory
- Hockey loses pair of legendary figures in Quinn, Tikhonov
- U.S. Steel to relocate corporate headquarters on former Civic Arena site
- High winds knock out power, injure man at Cranberry construction site