Bacteria found in bread factory not a health hazard, company says
Three Western Pennsylvania grocery store chains voluntarily pulled Schwebel's Baking Co. products from their shelves Wednesday when a regular assessment uncovered the bacteria Listeria at the Youngstown bakery.
Giant Eagle, Kuhn's and Shop 'n Save all were affected. Both Kuhn's and Giant Eagle also removed varieties of their own bread brands that the bakery produced as a precaution.
The bakery's vice president of marketing, Lee Schwebel, said an independent testing laboratory's follow-up report showed the Listeria is not the strain that causes severe illness. Full production is to resume by Thursday night, according to a news release from the bakery.
“We did our testing, and we're very encouraged by this,” Schwebel said.
Dan Sakala, a spokesman for Kuhn's, said Schwebel's was trying to replenish the grocery stores' stock from its plant in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.
“We'll be fully stocked (Thursday) with the white bread, but their biggest seller is the 'taliano and we probably won't have that until Friday,” he said.
Schwebel's, founded in 1906, operates four bakeries in Ohio. Consumers should call Schwebel's at 1-800-860-2867.
Megan Henney is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-320-7987 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Fastball command issues hurt Cole against Cubs
- Rossi: Cole is simply not good enough for Pirates
- Feds tapped top Pa. Treasury official’s phone during McCord probe
- High school notebook: WPIAL title games could stay at The Pete, Heinz Field
- Unity supervisors propose joint public meeting with Greater Latrobe school board
- Stabbing attacks by Palestinians spread in Israel
- Environmental watchdog sues world’s largest steelmaker over Pennsylvania pollution
- New microbreweries in Indiana hope to tap thirst for craft beer
- New-look Steelers secondary is gaining some cohesion
- Fed insight gives stocks room to run; S&P 500 regains 2,000 mark
- Penguins recall Maatta in time for season opener in Dallas