Five people wounded in 'violent day' in Rankin, North Braddock
Five people were wounded on Wednesday in a rash of shootings in two Mon Valley communities that Rankin police Chief Ryan Wooten called “one of the most violent days we've had here in a long time.”
There were two incidents in Rankin sandwiched around one in North Braddock, sending five people to hospitals with what Allegheny County police called “non life-threatening” wounds.
Five people were taken into custody shortly after 7 p.m. after police saw a gunman leaning out the window of a car firing at another vehicle being chased along Fifth Avenue in Rankin, Wooten said.
The rear window of the lead vehicle was shot out before Allegheny County Housing Authority Police on duty in Hawkins Village ran across the street and stopped both vehicles at gunpoint near the intersection with Kenmawr Avenue, Wooten said. There were no injuries.
Dozens of officers from around the Mon Valley responded for crowd control, Wooten said.
The violence began when a man was shot about 11 a.m. along Pattison Avenue in Rankin, county police Lt. Andrew Schurman said.
The shooting may have prompted a retaliatory shooting at 3:14 p.m. when four people standing on and near a porch in the 700 block of Hickory Street were felled by a hail of gunfire in North Braddock, Schurman said.
Witnesses told police that a car pulled up to the porch, and one or more gunmen got out and began firing, Schurman said. Eighteen spent shell casings were found at the scene, he said.
Michael Hasch is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7820 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Fire at Dollar General in Rostraver under control, dispatchers say
- California University police officer alleges discrimination
- Script is it: Classic Pitt helmet design to return
- Fayette County woman pleads guilty to trying to kill romantic rival with SUV
- MLB notebook: Rays manager Maddon opts out of contract
- Hit-run motorist in Mt. Lebanon sought
- Blind players battle for chess championship
- Attack on Egypt army post in Sinai peninsula kills 30 troops
- Protestants preparing for Reformation Sunday observances
- Predators winger Neal caught ‘blindsided’ by trade from Penguins