Police clear brief standoff with man in Shadyside
Police took a 59-year-old Shadyside man into custody Thursday morning because he threatened to commit “suicide by cop.”
Officers responded to an emergency call at an apartment building in the 200 block of Shady Avenue at about 9:10 a.m.
The street remained open, and no medics or SWAT operators were called, according to Allegheny County 911 operators.
The unidentified man is a veteran, police said, and suffers from mental health issues. He has had made similar threats before. He was taken into custody without incident shortly after 10 a.m. and transported to a VA facility.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Nearing season’s midpoint, Steelers still have issues to sort out
- Ross brothers ordered to pay fine, remove debris from Christmas display
- Rossi: Fleury is, and will remain, Penguins’ soul
- Testing legs, giving backup goalie a chance are Penguins’ priorities
- Police seize phones of some Norwin High School students
- Steelers film session: Watt kept under control
- State law complicates Allegheny County proposal for letter grading of restaurants
- 7 in custody after New Kensington drug raid
- 2 stores robbed in Alle-Kiski Valley
- Calgon Carbon poised for explosive growth
- Rostraver woman victim of home invasion