Police clear brief standoff with man in Shadyside
Police took a 59-year-old Shadyside man into custody Thursday morning because he threatened to commit “suicide by cop.”
Officers responded to an emergency call at an apartment building in the 200 block of Shady Avenue at about 9:10 a.m.
The street remained open, and no medics or SWAT operators were called, according to Allegheny County 911 operators.
The unidentified man is a veteran, police said, and suffers from mental health issues. He has had made similar threats before. He was taken into custody without incident shortly after 10 a.m. and transported to a VA facility.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Steelers rising fast in mediocre AFC
- Police detain 3 juveniles they think are connected to anonymous online school threat
- Audit of county jail health provider says money being wasted
- Penguins’ Sutter, Downie, Greiss being tested for mumps, out tonight
- Steelers offense learning to slam door
- Heyward, swarming defense get best of Chiefs in Steelers’ win
- Pittsburgh mayor Peduto goes ‘Undercover’ for CBS reality show
- Downie, Farnham bringing a much-needed edge to the Penguins
- Steelers clinch trip to postseason with big victory over Chiefs
- Steelers-Bengals game to start at 8:30 p.m.
- Pittsburgh police doubling up on duty after potential threats