Report of attempted child luring in Hempfield a hoax, police say
A 15-year-old boy fabricated his claim that a man tried to lure him into his vehicle Wednesday afternoon in Hempfield, state police said Thursday evening.
The boy told police the man was driving a white Ford van, police reported in a news release earlier Thursday.
He also said that on the previous day, the same suspect allegedly followed the boy on foot in the area of Todd School Road and Sandalwood Drive, near the exit for Route 130 (Humphrey Road) on Route 30. The teenager told police he was walking a dog at 2:25 p.m. Wednesday when he was approached by the white man, who asked him to get inside the van.
The boy said the van had no registration on the back.
The teenager told police he said no and ran home, while the suspect drove away on Todd School Road. On Tuesday at about 8 p.m., the same man followed the teen on foot along Todd School Road, police said.
The boy gave a detailed description of the man, including that he had a black crewcut, was shirtless and had a hairy chest, police said.
Shortly before 7 p.m. Thursday, police released an update on the incident.
“Further investigation and interview revealed that the 15-year-old male juvenile had fabricated the story of the attempted luring,” according to a second release from Trooper John Beynon.
Beynon was on patrol Thursday evening and not immediately available for further comment, including whether or not the boy will face charges.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- SUV rollover on Parkway East sends 2 to hospital
- Federal grand jury indicts man for operating illegal slaughterhouse in his Jefferson Hills home
- County Controller wants authorities to cooperate with auditors
- Pirates trade Snider to Orioles for minor league pitcher
- Army Corps of Engineers asks for more input on Parks Township nuclear dump plans
- Now a Patriot, RB Blount’s thrilled to have moved on from Steelers
- No cross-checking here: Penguins misspell ‘Sidney’
- Police hunt for man who stole DVDs, threatened to stab security officers at Blairsville store
- Winfield man is one of a few to attend all 49 Super Bowl games
- Letang produces 5 assists in return as Penguins defeat Jets, 5-3