Homicide detectives investigating death of East Hills infant
Kamaree Stewart was born Father's Day weekend with locks of dark hair to loving parents who eagerly awaited her arrival, according to neighbors on the 8400 block of Dersam Street.
The 6-week-old girl died Saturday morning after she was reported unconscious and not breathing at her East Hills home, authorities said.
The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's office said an autopsy was pending.
Her parents were believed to have been sleeping with her and rolled onto the infant, said police spokeswoman Sonya Toler. Police consider the parents to be victims, and they will not be identified at this time, Toler said. City homicide detectives are investigating. Police do not suspect foul play, she said.
Firefighters responded to the home shortly before 8 a.m. and began administering CPR. Paramedics arrived minutes later and took over.The baby was transported to Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, where she died at 8:42 a.m., police said.
Carmen Brown, 39, who lives next door to the family, gasped when she heard of Kamaree's death. She said she heard the sound of a fire truck coming down the street that morning.
“I never imagined it was the baby,” she said. “I can't believe it.”
Brown said the family moved in with three older daughters in the spring. The family gushed about the excitement of a new baby, and neighbors recalled seeing Kamaree's mother taking walks while pregnant.
“As soon as she was born, they brought her over,” said Jonae Moon, Brown's 16-year-old daughter. “She was so, so pretty.”
Brown said she couldn't imagine the hurt the parents must feel.
“I couldn't bury a child,” she said. “They loved her.”
Melissa Daniels is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. She can be reached at 412-380-8511 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- Harrison woman dead in 3-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Bortuzzo could provide much-needed physical presence for Penguins
- Pittsburgh police officers start wearing video cameras
- Pa. Supreme Court Justice McCaffery suspended in email porn scandal
- 12-year-old’s donated heart joins families, lets her memory live
- Jury selection for Ferrante trial begins today
- For all but 2 minutes vs. Steelers, Texans played ‘pretty good game’