Fire causes Blairsville bar to collapse, flames spread to neighboring building
A Blairsville restaurant was destroyed by fire and collapsed Wednesday night and another building was damaged in the blaze.
The fire was first reported at Sharon's Restaurant and Lounge, 244 E. Market St., just after 10:30 p.m.
About a half-hour later, firefighters at the scene reported that an adjacent building was ablaze. The second building houses an ice cream shop, photography studio and apartments.
Soon after the second building caught fire, the building that housed Sharon's Restaurant and Lounge collapsed onto it.
A crowd of more than 100 people gathered near the scene and watched as the flames engulfed the buildings in the borough's business district, crowded with other commercial and residential properties.
Early reports suggested that a bartender may have been trapped in the restaurant, but he was later found to have safely escaped.
Citizens Ambulance and fire departments from Blairsville, Black Lick, Bradenville, Coral Graceton, Derry, Homer City and Indiana remained on the scene throughout the evening.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: What are Penguins, Pirates up to?
- Police stop car in Beltzhoover, find body in back seat
- Capitals dominate overmatched Penguins in win at Verizon Center
- Lapierre eager to make mark with Penguins
- IRS scam snares another Westmoreland County resident
- Pennsylvania Gov. Wolf to sign order barring drilling of new oil, gas wells in state forests, parks
- Dixon vows to fix Pitt’s long-distance dilemma
- UPMC, Highmark disagree over payment of medical claims for children
- Pa. police departments worry order on criminal seizures hurts bottom line
- Donora man apprehended after North Belle Vernon pharmacy robbery
- Krieger to seek Westmoreland County Common Pleas judgeship