Woman wounded during Homewood gun battle; boy, 16, shot Downtown
Two people were shot and wounded Friday night in different parts of Pittsburgh.
A young woman was shot in twice in the upper neck about 8:30 p.m. during a running gun battle between two speeding vehicles in Homewood, city police Lt. Daniel M. Herrmann said.
A 16-year-old boy was shot in the shoulder around 10:42 p.m. near the intersection of Strawberry Way and William Penn Place, Downtown, the lieutenant said.
The woman was driving a sport utility vehicle inbound toward East Liberty in the 7300 block of Kelly Street with a male passenger when the gun battle began with occupants of a red vehicle, Herrmann said.
At least a dozen shell casings were found along the street before the SUV crashed into a parked vehicle, the lieutenant said. After the SUV stopped, the woman got out and ran before collapsing against a building at the intersection with Sterrett Street. She was taken to UPMC Presbyterian hospital.
Her passenger, who may have been injured in the crash, fled before police arrived, Hermann said.
The teenage boy was with a friend when he was shot Downtown, Herrmann said. The two made their way around the corner to Seventh Street where they found a building guard and asked for help. The wounded boy was taken to UPMC Mercy hospital.
The investigation is continuing into both shootings, Herrmann said.
Michael Hasch is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7820 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Egypt’s beleaguered tourism industry bounces back
- For Steelers, a fight to finish for playoff berth
- Geologist: Site of idyllic 1833 painting of Lancaster found
- Leak of grand jury information could cost Attorney General Kane
- Police investigating shooting outside of Monessen bar
- Need for new community college in Northwestern Pennsylvania questioned
- The bullet inside your body ‘becomes a part of you’
- Real estate notes: New ‘spec’ office building going up Downtown
- Pitt beats Syracuse, snaps 3-game losing streak
- Islanders outwork Penguins to sweep back-to-back meetings
- 153-year-old Venango well pumps out oil, history