Woman wounded during Homewood gun battle; boy, 16, shot Downtown
Two people were shot and wounded Friday night in different parts of Pittsburgh.
A young woman was shot in twice in the upper neck about 8:30 p.m. during a running gun battle between two speeding vehicles in Homewood, city police Lt. Daniel M. Herrmann said.
A 16-year-old boy was shot in the shoulder around 10:42 p.m. near the intersection of Strawberry Way and William Penn Place, Downtown, the lieutenant said.
The woman was driving a sport utility vehicle inbound toward East Liberty in the 7300 block of Kelly Street with a male passenger when the gun battle began with occupants of a red vehicle, Herrmann said.
At least a dozen shell casings were found along the street before the SUV crashed into a parked vehicle, the lieutenant said. After the SUV stopped, the woman got out and ran before collapsing against a building at the intersection with Sterrett Street. She was taken to UPMC Presbyterian hospital.
Her passenger, who may have been injured in the crash, fled before police arrived, Hermann said.
The teenage boy was with a friend when he was shot Downtown, Herrmann said. The two made their way around the corner to Seventh Street where they found a building guard and asked for help. The wounded boy was taken to UPMC Mercy hospital.
The investigation is continuing into both shootings, Herrmann said.
Michael Hasch is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-320-7820 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates will play NL wild-card game at PNC Park after shutting out Reds
- Nothing normal about Steelers’ standard as backups fill vital roles
- Pitt notebook: Panthers keeping many players involved
- Deal close on Pacific free trade pact
- Penguins notebook: Farnham relishes making opening-night roster
- Penn Hills man allegedly robs Wilkins eatery
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Man’s body recovered from river in McKeesport
- Pope urges bishops to reaffirm church’s stance on marriage as synod opens
- Steelers cut Scobee, sign free agent kicker Boswell
- MLB notebook: Miami’s Gordon sweeps NL batting, steals titles